council house sell off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, does any body know the real reason why the government gave council tenants the right to buy?

Sponsored Links
so Thatcher could keep control by putting a noose around one's neck?

To allow the money from sales to fund the "care in the community" that resulted from the closure of the Biscuit tins ......haven`t you heard of the "trickle down "effect :?: We`re all rich now :rolleyes:

Ostensibly, to provide freedom and independence for those who bought. In reality, to allow successive governments and local aurhorities to abdicate from the responsibility of providing social housing in the future.

Sponsored Links
Hi, does any body know the real reason why the government gave council tenants the right to buy?

They said that it was to change the social structure of Britain and in a sense it did. Many of the traditional Labour voters who bought their homes became Conservatives overnight and it turned out to be a great vote winner.

Goes to show what the conservative party values really are....to pray on peoples emotions such as greed in order to take control.

Rather win votes that way, than through any beneficial(to the country) policy making.

Many of the traditional Labour voters who bought their homes became Conservatives overnight and it turned out to be a great vote winner.
Many less 1. :!: .it took Bliar to turn me red to blue....Never thought I`d vote that way , but Bliar turned out worse than Thatcher :eek: :evil:

Wasn't it a clever plans to stop the miners and others going on strike and didn't want to lose their house which was mortaged on strike pay from the union?

Simple economics really, old council houses were a money pit in upkeep with relatively low incomes in rent so the council had a huge maintenace bill.

The idea was to sell them off and realise capital and this plus the released revenue was to fund new social housing schemes.

Good plan except ... They forgot to fund the new social housing schemes ... Which meant, of course, that they could buy more speed cameras for the good of us all :LOL:

I believe that the right to buy is to be withdrawn in Scotland but don't know when.

PS If they ban the sales in England, some of the clerks who handle the paperwork in the legal departments will be made redundant I think I know one of them.

What often happens is Council tenants are sold mortgages that they cannot fund. The investment company forecloses on the mortgage and the original tenant is evicted into social housing. So who benefits?

What often happens is Council tenants are sold mortgages that they cannot fund. The investment company forecloses on the mortgage and the original tenant is evicted into social housing. So who benefits?
Private Buy to let landlords.....like :?: from this forum :LOL:

people are still buying them because they are cheap,:cool: and they allow you to move if you get the neighbour from hell ;) without asking for premission.from your friendless council :LOL: it was not as bad as you guys are making out, you can rent cheaper than buying in many place's in uk.it this labour gov drop stamp duty more could buy :)

people are still buying them ---it was not as bad as you guys are making out, you can rent cheaper than buying in many place's in uk.
like to name them ;) :?: down here you`re just paying some tossers mortgage for them.I`d rather live as an itinerant that fund someone`s mortgage on their second/third house :evil:

low rents in cumbria ;) we dont all live in the south or big town's or city's flats from £60 house's £80 :) yes thats not a misprint ther are houses from £70.000 to buy ;) but wages match

Sponsored Links
Back