COUNCIL WORKER PAID £91,000 ON SICK for changing light bulbs

B

BOB.DOLE

COUNCIL WORKER PAID £91,000 ON SICK
Lightbulb fixer earns £15,000 'stand-by bonus' and £5,000 'overtime'.. despite being OFF sick for the last 12 months
By Rod Chaytor
HOW many overpaid union officials does it take to change a lightbulb?

Just one if you are lucky enough to work for the bright sparks at Birmingham City Council.

For they are paying "signals operative" Ian Smith a bloated £71,000 salary topped up with £15,000 "stand-by" and £5,000 overtime bonuses - even though he has been off sick for 12 months.

Residents were furious last night when they learned his official job was just to change street LIGHTBULBS.

However, Mr Smith is believed not to have gone "on the road" for years because he is a full-time convenor for Amicus.

The scandal was exposed by leaked wage sheets for the council, some of whose road workers earn up to £53,000 a year.

Council tax pressure group Isitfair raged last night: "This is absolutely horrendous.

"This man's basic pay is extraordinary. And how can anyone justify bonuses for someone off sick?"

Mr Smith is employed as a street and traffic lights engineer. A colleague said last night: "The job does involve changing lightbulbs. But engineers also replace and repair faulty equipment. There are skills involved."

However, Mr Smith is believed to have been a full-time union official at the street lighting depot in Erdington, Birmingham, for at least a decade.

Despite his union position, his wage is paid by the council's Street Lighting Direct Labour Organisation.

The workmate said: "It's been a very long time since he was out on the road." Yesterday the council refused to talk about individual cases or to discuss Mr Smith's illness, which is not thought to be life-threatening.

But a spokesman admitted parts of the pay structure were outdated and "not fit for purpose".

Alan Rudge, a councillor dealing with a pay review, said: "We can't continue with unfair structures. People are entitled to a fair reward for their work - but this should apply to all."

Amicus said: "There's nothing wrong with this employee being paid his full wage when off sick."

However the union could not explain why Mr Smith was paid £20,000 in bonuses.

A spokesman added: "We're taking legal advice and will issue a statement."

As a union rep, Mr Smith is known to be fiercely protective of his members' jobs.

Seven years ago, he was accused of backing "bullyboy" tactics to frighten off private outfits bidding for the street lighting contract. Firms complained to the office of Deputy Premier John Prescott. Officials agreed a letter sent to the firms was "intimidating".

Last month it was revealed that Birmingham council workers were taking home £1,000 a week for painting white lines on the roads.

Other workers qualify for extra payments of £4,500 for being on call.

Yet another contract corruption exposed.

Sponsored Links
I think that this case is almost unbelievable. If I lived in B'ham I would have emailed my mp by now. The trouble is, you don't know if your local council is doing the same.

I dont believe it

someone like that getting BOB's daily rate

the mind boggles ;)

I don't know why you're moaning, gas blokes get more money than oil blokes, and I wouldn't want the job if that's all they were paying. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
hermes said:
I think that this case is almost unbelievable. If I lived in B'ham I would have emailed my mp by now. The trouble is, you don't know if your local council is doing the same.

There's this little thing called the freedom of information act and you can put any question you want to to your local council about its expenditure etc etc. So why not start asking now. ;)

nstreet said:
hermes said:

There's this little thing called the freedom of information act and you can put any question you want to to your local council about its expenditure etc etc. So why not start asking now. ;)

Actually I did that last week. Where I work there is a run of council-owned workshops housing 3 businesses. The council come round a couple of times a year and cut back the shrubbery around the carpark and spray some weedkiller. The recently billed each business £300 for the privelege. The guys who have the business at the end told me they were going to refuse to pay until they had a breakdown of the costs so I wrote back to the billing department asking them to explain the bill and I mentioned the FoI act. I got a letter back saying I would get a full costing within 28 days. Can't wait.

When you have a free for all society with no wage restrictions then you get this abuse of salary and ripping off of customers.

Force a limit on earnings and prices and keep inflation down.

If companies from abroad wish to invest or sell in this country then they have to abide by our rules and keep their prices down rather than rip off customers over here.

Sponsored Links
Back