Couple of issues with Awning Windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've googled the type of window I have and it appears to be a PVC, double glazed awning window. It opens from the bottom and has a handle/lock.

A few issues with some of the windows:

1) one of them shuts, you pull handle down to secure however it can be pushed open whilst the handle is in the "locked" position. This means that if it's really windy outside, it can sometimes blow open of it's own accord.

2) another window you open, leave say, 5cm ajar and it very easily and with little resistance will blow open wider. I'd like it to just stay in that one place (obviously unless it's gale force winds which I understand you can't really protect against).

I've looked around the edge of the windows, the handle, the joints, etc... I can't see anything immediately obvious to adjust.

Can anyone help me fix this issue?

Sponsored Links
For 1), take photos of the frame where the windows closes on to, and also the bottom edge of the opening sash

For 2), take pictures of the hinges

Then I'm sure we can assist you :)

1. With the window open look at the locking edge for the cams and open and close the handle to see if they move, If not you may have a broken gearbox or handle.

2. With the window open look at the hinges there should be a flat headed screw visible on it (usually brass) and one on each hinge. Tighten them both slightly until the window has a bit of resistance.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back