Window handle locks the wrong way

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've replaced a broken window handle/lock on a double glazed window.
Problem: to open, I need to turn it 90 deg clockwise. I need it to open by turning it 90 deg anticlockwise.

My handle is designed to swing in either direction. How can this be solved please?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this as I am heading to this property later today and would like to try out any potential solutions.

I'm really sorry but I don't understand.
At the moment, I've got it on upside down. The lever is pointing upwards (instead of downwards). To open, you need to turn clockwise.

Can you elaborate on your suggestion please.

Sponsored Links
what is it you have replaced? -lock or handle?

Top hung or side hung opener?

Is handle cranked? -which will make it handed, maybe you have wrong hand

Or maybe you have fixed the handle on with the lock in the wrong position. If the window is open, the handle should be at horizontal across the glass -if side hung.

I've replaced the handle as it had broken off. The handle has a key but I assume the lock mechanism is the bit inside the window - in which case, I've not touched this.
The window is side hung and pushes out to the right. It has a fixed pane next to it.
My handle is suitable for RH and LH operations: https://www.screwfix.com/p/mila-esp...d=437932#product_additional_details_container

I've fitted the handle with the window in unlocked position and the lever is pointing down. This is correct. To lock, I have to turn it clockwise (its swinging over the fixed pane). I need it to go anti clockwise. Hope that makes sense.

If you have fitted the handle with the window lock in the unlocked position, ie window open, then the handle needs to be horizontal.

if the key has locked the handle then you need to use the key and undo the handle so it turns before putting it on the window.

the key only locks the handle and stops it turning.

@Notch7 I think your'e spot on! I've confused the opening and closed positions (blush, blush)
If I fit it when the window is unlocked (as I have been) and have the handle in horizontal position (I've had in vertical!), I would then need to turn it vertical in a clockwise direction and it will not swing across to the fix pane.

I think that's right. Will try shortly and let you know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back