Court Case For Dumping Litter?

Our council here are hopeless. They had the bright idea last year of introducing green boxes for paper recycling. Sadly when the boxes arrived they were much like the boxes you get at Safeway for your shopping, with no lids! So on a windy day, you can imagine the scene with everyone's newspaper blowing down the street and making a right mess! Unless you happen to have a housebrick handy to put on top...

Sponsored Links
i found an envelope in a field with an address on it. Does that mean he put it there and so is responsible for it?............................no

ninebob said:
Unless you happen to have a housebrick handy to put on top...

If you do, Si, then some tawt is bound to nick it and put it through your window, or worse, one of your neighbours windows.

Then you become liable, if not legally, then morally.

Someone nicked stepladders belonging to a friend, and broke into a bloke a few doors down from him. He is now suing the friend for not keeping his ladders secure.

We have a blue box (one of those big Addis ones, with a lid) for cans and newspaper, and a bin-shaped thing for glass. Normal rubbish goes in a black sack. Some oik pinched my blue box once, I guess because it would be pretty good for storage! :LOL:

I investigated the costs of disposing of an old bathroom suite before ripping mine out. The council informed me that the domestic waste site wouldn't take it (bit peaved, but fair enough), and the business waste site would want about £50 to take it (plus I would have to hire a van to get it there). A mini-skip was £100 for a couple of days, so in the end I got one of those Hippo skipbags.

I wouldn't have minded, but a week after the bag was taken away I was at the domestic-waste tip, and someone came in with a big van, signage advertising the fact that he was a plumber. He then pulled a whole suite out of the back and under the gaze of the foreman was allowed to dump it in the crushers. :evil:

Sponsored Links
The only recycling we have is paper.

The council subbed this out to a private firm based over 30 miles away from here. They come once a fortnight in their Mitsubishi truck which came from the far east.

So much for the environment, I think they just want to appear to be doing something :cry:

I spent a summer working at a dump (Charlton Waste Transfer Station for anyone who knows that part of Surrey), and I found it remarkable what people would throw away.

1) a 24-crate of Dr Pepper, someone brought it over to me and said it was unsold from the refreshments tent at their village fete. I had it, nothing wrong!
2) Thousands of packets of chewing gum (promotional packs, again given to the staff not hoiked out of the rubbish!)
3) A full-length, worn-once, leather trenchcoat. A lady came over to my brother (who was also working there) and said it was her boyfriend's but she was throwing out all his stuff, and they were the same size. He saw the same make and design in a shop a few weeks later for £400!
4) A cocktail cabinet, complete with a dozen or so half-full bottles of spirits (one of my colleagues drank all the sambuca during his shift)
5) Various things that probably had "Made in Sweden" stamped on them, if you know what I mean :confused:
6) Nude photographs, presumably of someone's wife (just in case anyone is planning on throwing out such items, shred or burn them instead!)
7) Large asbestos items in the green waste (hmmmm, found it in the garden, so there it goes)
8) A Transit... well, they hadn't intended to dump it there, but the silly s*d parked it behind a 40-tonne (unladen weight :eek: ) Volvo front-loader, which then reversed into it (although "over it" wouldn't be far off the mark!) :LOL:

david and julie said:
a private firm based over 30 miles away from here. They come once a fortnight in their Mitsubishi truck which came from the far east.

Blimey, that IS over 30 miles ;)

ninebob said:
Our council here are hopeless. They had the bright idea last year of introducing green boxes for paper recycling. Sadly when the boxes arrived they were much like the boxes you get at Safeway for your shopping, with no lids! So on a windy day, you can imagine the scene with everyone's newspaper blowing down the street and making a right mess! Unless you happen to have a housebrick handy to put on top...
What d'you expect for 45p ?

Seriously, we segregate our 'green box' recyclables into plastic s/market bags, paper, plastic, glass, metal ... stops stuff blowing around, of course flatten plastic bottles underfoot then reseal. The collectors then do not remove the box and sling it in the street when empty - they just take the bags ;)
Only prob here - "Place box outside at 8-30 am", but they actually collect at around 2-30pm !!
P

I'm looking for ideas for the disposal of garden rubbish. Our council collect household waste only (in black bags). They used to have a green bag scheme for garden waste (they cost a pound each), but have abandoned this, since tesco started selling green rubbish bags (at the same price as black ones).

Our local dustmen seem to have a psychic ability to spot garden waste in black bags. Even if you wrap it up in newspaper, and surround it with kitchen waste, they'll know it's there and simply refuse to take ANY of your rubbish.

Our local tip has very few rules. There are two entry gates, one with a 6ft 6in height restriction, one without. If you fit under the height restriction you don't pay, if you have to use the other, you do (I think it's about £20 per visit). One of the most disagreable rules they have is NO GARDEN WASTE. They'll even accept asbestos (if it is properly marked), but not hedge clippings :eek:

Now if you have a well manicured garden, I can imagine that you would be able to take care of the odd clippings and mown grass by composting but What do you do when faced with a wilderness. I'm not sure how the regs go regarding Bon fires, but I can't see much practical alternative.

Hiring a skip just seems like overkill. Prices around here are a bit extortionate and include a mandatory fee to the council to have it on the road. This fee is applicable, even if you have the skip removed the same day. (neighbouring councils only charge if the skip is left overnight).

Unless an alternative can be found, it looks like I'm going to have a few bon fires.

Our, BANES council, collect garden waste inc cardboard and normal paper fortnightly, cost ? £36 gets you a large green wheely bin 240 Litre and 3 yrs free collections, 80 Litre paper sacks (good quality) 35p each,

http://www.bathnes.gov.uk/BathNES/environment/wasteandrecycling/gwcb.htm

use a 'shredder' to reduce small branches and twigs to chippings which you can spread on the garden as a mulch to reduce weeds and maintain soil moisture
I have no experience of these, some people think they are fine, others seem to expect 'industrial' capabilities hence feel the garden type device is ineffectual.
A past neighbour swore by his shredder and routinely shredded his garden waste, then returned it to ground as a mulch .....
Perhaps someone can give an objective evaluation of the garden shredder ..
P

TexMex said:
Our local dustmen seem to have a psychic ability to spot garden waste in black bags. Even if you wrap it up in newspaper, and surround it with kitchen waste, they'll know it's there and simply refuse to take ANY of your rubbish.

Same round here.

A mate of mine really takes the p*ss with his binmen: he dug up a load of gravel and clay from his garden. Instead of dumping it himself he started putting it in with his household waste, a few shovelfuls a week! :eek:

That does surprise me that your local dump won't accept green waste. Many tips have a rule that if you bring it in a trailer then you have to pay trade rates (i.e. professional gardener). Most councils have a website (www.insert name of town here.gov.uk), which should instruct you where your nearest greenwaste site is: if enough people complain, they will have to do something about it.

The reason for the binmen not taking obvious green waste is that if you get branches poking out then they can get scratched. Jolly decent of you to wrap it in newspaper, but I suppose it is just so engrained in the psyche that they avoid it!

Thanks Adam,
I've found a referrence on their website concerning the green bag scheme, apparently it is still running. I must use thier bags (with the council logo at a cost of £4.10 per pk of 5). When I've called thier offices in the past (within the last couple of months), I'm either told, they don't know where I can purchase the bags, or they don't think the scheme is run anymore. I'll keep plugging. (or give up and have some nice smokey bonfires :)).

My local council has introduced a new refuse collection in the last few months.

The old system, running at least since I moved here 8 years ago involved black bags for general waste, and "white" (actually translucent) bags for recyclables: Paper, card, cans, and textiles. Garden waste was supposed to be collected separately in green bags, obtainable at extra cost from the council, but most people just put odd clippings in the black bags, double-wrapped if necessary.

Toward the end of the system they got very picky about garden waste in the black bags, and if the collectors saw any signs of such they'd refuse to take the bag. You'd drive along the road the afternoon after collection day and see quite a lot of black bags bearing huge fluorescent orange stickers saying "CONTAMINATED" that the collectors would stick on.

The new system has introduced "wheelie bins," gray for regular waste, green for recyclables, which now includes plastic bottles, collected on alternate weeks. Curiously though, the flyer telling of the new system states that textiles should not be put in the green bin as they don't have facilities to deal with them yet. (They've been collecting them in the white bags for 8 years, so I wonder why not? :rolleyes: ).

The biggest laugh was the instructions to leave the bins at the roadside for collection, but to make sure they weren't blocking the way at any time. The day of the first collection of the bins, I arrived home and had to get out of the car before I could get into my driveway, They'd left the empty bin right in the middle of the entrance. All the other returned empties along the road were also just scattered at any old angle and position.

http://www.north-norfolk.gov.uk/refuse/default.asp

A lot of councils have pledged not to have wheelie bin schemes. They make life a lot easier for the binmen, unfortunately a lot of people don't have anywhere to put one! Myself included. Even houses that were built with a dustbin cupboard usually don't have room in said cupboard for a wheelie bin.

Sponsored Links
Back