Court rules Abu Qatada cannot be deported

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So this bloke comes here, starts spouting off how we're the enemy of Muslims etc and yet he wants to stay here! If he's such a big man and his own Islamic country is so wonderful, so peace loving, so fair, so righteous, why doesn't he go back there? Indeed why did he come to this country at all? Why did he come here using a false passport and documents?

We're a bunch of bleedin mugs.

Radical cleric Abu Qatada cannot be sent back to Jordan while “there remains a real risk that evidence obtained by torture will be used against him”, judges ruled today.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled there would be a breach of his right to a fair trial “given the real risk of the admission of evidence obtained by torture at his retrial”.

It is the first time that the Strasbourg-based court has found that an expulsion would be in violation of Article 6, the right to a fair trial.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/court-rules-abu-qatada-cannot-be-deported-6290742.html

I fail to see how this ruling can stand. The UK signed a memorandum with Jordan (and others), which ministers say will ensure that any deported terrorism suspects will not face torture or ill-treatment on return (see link below). Obviously his lawyers have argued that that is not guaranteed. It would appear he has better lawyers than the prosecution!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4141594.stm

Sponsored Links
I agree with your sentiments Blas. Unfortunately, it seems that you are right. Abu Quatada does appear to have better lawyers than UK government.

The strasbourg court, I assume presented by his lawyers, argued that he could be convicted on evidence extracted under torture of others.
Couldn't the UK lawyers have foreseen this?

MI5 should just take him out, now there is something to copy and paste

Sponsored Links
It would not bother me in the slightest if this piece of vermin was tortured. No other country would tolerate the crap you lot have to put up with under the " human rights" banner. Some people give up whatever rights they have by the actions they follow , and this fleck of crap certainly comes under that description. It's high time the ECHR was consigned to the scrap bin.

Are you seriously suggesting state induced/sponsored murder?

Well he is, cut and paste that and call the home office.

Oh yeah I forgot only if a white man says something slightly wrong do the internet police perk up.

So this bloke comes here, starts spouting off how we're the enemy of Muslims etc and yet he wants to stay here! If he's such a big man and his own Islamic country is so wonderful, so peace loving, so fair, so righteous, why doesn't he go back there? Indeed why did he come to this country at all? Why did he come here using a false passport and documents?

We're a bunch of bleedin mugs.

Radical cleric Abu Qatada cannot be sent back to Jordan while “there remains a real risk that evidence obtained by torture will be used against him”, judges ruled today.

The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) ruled there would be a breach of his right to a fair trial “given the real risk of the admission of evidence obtained by torture at his retrial”.

It is the first time that the Strasbourg-based court has found that an expulsion would be in violation of Article 6, the right to a fair trial.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/court-rules-abu-qatada-cannot-be-deported-6290742.html

I fail to see how this ruling can stand. The UK signed a memorandum with Jordan (and others), which ministers say will ensure that any deported terrorism suspects will not face torture or ill-treatment on return (see link below). Obviously his lawyers have argued that that is not guaranteed. It would appear he has better lawyers than the prosecution!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4141594.stm[/QUOTE]

its just a pity im paying for both of them

It would not bother me in the slightest if this piece of vermin was tortured. No other country would tolerate the crap you lot have to put up with under the " human rights" banner. Some people give up whatever rights they have by the actions they follow , and this fleck of crap certainly comes under that description. It's high time the ECHR was consigned to the scrap bin.

MI5 should just take him out, now there is something to copy and paste
Merlin makes a good point. He should be taken out. By whom is irellevant , as long as the job is done who gives a rats ass.
Some fairly extreme views there Caoin. What is it that he's done to deserve that?

That was intended as slightly light hearted dig at the EHCR Joe. Never mind.

Sponsored Links
Back