Cover for external drain inspection chamber

GRC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an external drain inspection chamber out back (does drainage come under Plumbing? I hope so.) - when we moved in, this was covered with a sheet of plywood; as with all things around the house, I vowed to replace it one day. However, the plywood has disintegrated; some of it had fallen into the chamber, and appears to have partially blocked things for a while (duration unknown)

I've retrieved the biggest bits of plywood with the aid of a long garden rake, and cleared debris out from the drain channels, and the water now appears to be running freely.

drain-small02.jpg

drain-small01.jpg

However, there's still debris on the flat bits around the drainage channels, and I'm reluctant to go down there and shovel things without an all-over biohazard suit, at least.... and there's the issue of disposing of whatever gets shovelled ....

Time to call the professionals in to clean it out?

Also; what kind of cover should an inspection chamber like this have? Surely not just a sheet of plywood? Are there any online regs or guidelines to dictate what should be done?

Regards, Graham

Sponsored Links
This is what the top of it looks like - plywood was just laid on top of the brickwork

plywood-small02.jpg

plywood-small01.jpg

Regards, Graham

Sponsored Links
kevplumb said:
cheers graham iv'e had a really sh*tty day that has really made me laugh ( no pun intended )

Wow. Glad I brought some humour into your day. What kind of cover do you think the inspection thingie should have?

Regards, Graham

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back