Cover strip socket and plugs with clingfilm?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Unusual and naive question.

To run fairy lights and a couple of lamps in my conservatory I've placed a 4-gang strip socket on the top shelf of the tall shelf units.

In the summer the conservatory is filled with flies and wasps and all kinds of horrid stuff and dust and specks come off them and the plants that are on the shelves including where the strip socket is.

I own a few of those plastic boxes specially made to hide and protect strip sockets but this one will not fit in one, as the plug for the fairy lights is so massive it sticks out so far the lid won't shut.

So my question is, would it be OK to cover the strip socket with cling film to keep it clean and dust, droppings and grease-free? I don't know if it would be a fire hazard.

LHL

Sponsored Links
I can't see cling film causing any heat retention problems.

I'd be more worried about plants being on the same shelf. Unless they are plants which don't need to be watered.

I own a few of those plastic boxes specially made to hide and protect strip sockets but this one will not fit in one
You can get quite roomy ones:

SMWP401.JPG

Sponsored Links
Thanks for replies.

ERIC it's a fairy light and two touch-lamps. Is that OK?

BAN the plants have saucers underneath, and when I water them, the water never gets on the shelf. There is actually only one big spider plant on that particular shelf, and I had in mind to take it down and put it on a table when I water it, just to be 100% certain the socket does never get wet.

So, I am ok to do it, then? Good!

Blimey that is a really big one! I would not want one that big, as it would be very visible and look so ugly on the shelf.

BAN .. I do kill them and at the end of the summer there are dozens of dead bodies all over the shelves, on the floor behind the shelves etc etc.

You should have seen my garage after I had to deal with a wasps nest in it by using those insecticide smoke bombs....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back