Covering a wallpapered ceiling.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, my living room ceiling is papered in a hideous white zig zag patterned paper. Other than ripping it down and starting again (which I don't want to do as it's a rented house) is there anything that would cover it up?

Sponsored Links
I would say no.

Your best best is when the house is vacant strip the wallpaper off and get a plasterer in to reskim. If you are unlucky the boards will be all over the place which will mean either one of two things:

1 - overboarding - if you don't have coving this should be fine
2 - taking the existing ceiling down and putting up new boards

Hi thanks for your reply but I was looking for a cheaper fix would artex or something similar do it?

There is some Polycell smoothover gloop advertised on TV recently that can be spread over textured surfaces to make them flat.

Never used it, don't suppose I ever will.

It's shown to be easy to apply, but it looks more trouble than it's worth.

I would imagine it to be a bad idea on wallpaper, especially on a ceiling.

I don't think the next man would thank you for applying it.

Can you not re-paint the ceiling as it is, and learn to live with it?

Sponsored Links
There is some Polycell smoothover gloop advertised on TV recently that can be spread over textured surfaces to make them flat.
It's carp & if you try to put it over paper, it will bubble & peel, much like plaster would; might be a good way of getting the paper off though :LOL:

Failing that you could try a steamer but don't overdo it or you could blow all the plaster off as well; assuming there is some under there :confused:

It may sound drastic and expensive, but I think the easiest way would be to plasterboard over the ceiling, don't even attempt to take the ceiling paper off.

Skimming over the boards with plaster will the best finish.

Make sure scrim tape is used.

I suppose joint filling would be cheaper than a full skim.

Hi, the paper has a shiny zig zag pattern which hurts your eyes! It has been repainted once. I'm guessing if we tried artex it may pull the paper down? Is there a thicker paint perhaps?

You can get texture paint with a texture roller.

sounds like a BLOWN Vinyl.. The face should strip easy..leaving the backing liner. This usually strips easily with hot water and sugar soap..

Or is it painted with a silk finish (glossy) Might help to give a coat of matt emusion to dull the shine (?) not suggesting it will fill and hide pattern tho...

If stripping paper, plasterboardind and plastering are not your thing you could consider cladding over the ceiling in wooden tounge and groove, then paint in satin/matt white.

You wouldn need to check you have ordinary joists to fix to (ie not a false suspended ceiling).

" it`s a rented house " are you the tenant or the landlord :?: if you`re the tenant, you have my sympathy ;) If you the land lord - spend some money you tightwad :LOL: :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back