lining wallpaper advice needed please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, the walls of my staircase need repainting which is fine but I the wallpaper is a sort of patterned low profile paper with a border, I don't know what to do and this is my question, is it possible to paper over the whole lot with a heavy duty 1000 grade lining paper, will this manage to cover up the paper pattern underneath?

cheers

Sponsored Links
The effort of lining the exisitng paper, along with the possibility that it won't hide the embossed paper, makes this approach unattractive. I would strip the exisitng paper off, a repaper, you could be saving yourself a lot of grief, and you would be doing the job properly :)

I agree it's the most logical thing to do but the paper was put up by a guy who used PVA in the wallpaper paste so I dread to think how I can get it off, by the way it wasn't me!

Sponsored Links
hi
i would strip it aswell.
i did a job just last week, the lady wanted me to paperover her existing stuff, i wasnt happy doing it but what the customer wants the customer gets. i did it and all the old paper started to bleb becasue the paste had wet it. i thought they would go back when it dried but she rang me the other day complaining so ive got to go back.

for that bit more work you could save yourself alot of time and energy.
lauren

yep ive learnt. i wont be doing it again!!!
next time if they want a bodge job they can do it themselves

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back