Covering broken splash back - tile vs sticky vinyl?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We moved into a house with a splash back that’s 1. Part Cracked and 2. Not a colour we like

New splashback been quoted £600. Plus someone else to rip off the old and plaster up any damage from taking it off.

I would like to please have suggestions on cost effective measures I could take to replace / revamp?

Options I can think of…

1. Can you tile on top of glass? Wondering if I can get - tiler just to whack some mosaic tiles on top and make the best of the kitchen for now

My dream is to do an extension one day and therefore knock this kitchen out completely anyway so thinking short tern

2. Sticky back gloss vinyl

Not sure if this is actually a silly idea or not?!?

Is it water / fire proof even?

3. Other - open to any ideas of things people may have done to save some £

Thank you!

Attachments

• 29EEE297-3184-45EE-93FF-68B3946A98D9.jpeg
    29EEE297-3184-45EE-93FF-68B3946A98D9.jpeg
    213.4 KB · Views: 57
Sponsored Links
You'll see all those cracks through the wrap.

Remove it yourself and you can probably just make good with some ready mixed plaster well enough to be able to refit another backsplash

Sponsored Links
I'd probably start by seeing if I could hammer a wall paper scraper in around the edges and see of you can work it loose, if that fails then progress to something thicker, I wouldn't start with a chisel straight away

Surely the old splashback was glued on with silicone. I don't understand why there would be much damage to the plaster.

How tall is the splash back?

I would be inclined to use a prybar and heat gun to warm up the silicone. On the balance of probability, the glass will break, so use appropriate PPE

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back