Covering up wood filler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have some exterior wood which was stained in a natural cedar but needed repairs for which an exterior wood filler was used - the (obvious) problem now is the filler is a very light brown (almost white in colour) I cant seem to cover the wood filler with any sort of stain/varnish so I have started looking at paints instead but am struggling to find an exterior paint in the right colour.

I have tried B&Q Exterior One Coat Gloss in the lightest colour they have (Teak) but its much too dark and red in colour - also have tried Dulux Interior and Exterior Woodsheen in Antique Pine but again its like a stain so doesnt actually cover the filler and even tried Cupranol Shades but again the colours are all wrong.

The latest product I have looked at is Dulux Woodsheen which seems to do the trick from the packaging but there are no tester pots available and after buying so much paint Im looking for previous experiences and advice from more experienced souls :)

Will this stuff do the trick? Are there any other ways or products you can think of using to cover the filler up and make it less obvious? I have accepted that Im going to have to adjust the colour of the wood as I wont get it the same shade and I know Im going to have to repaint the whole area but I dont mind as long as the great patches of white filler are gone or at the very least more discreet than they currently are!

Thanks

Jase

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back