colour bleeding through water-based undercoat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm painting the exterior woodwork on our porch which was previously stained or possibly varnished a teak colour. The porch looks about 15 years old so this was probably a factory finish but is now very weathered.

I've given it two coats of white water-based Dulux weathershield exterior undercoat and intended to use exterior satin Weathershield as the top coat. However there is a yellow stain seeping through the undercoat. It's not coming from knots. In fact it seems to come mostly from the joints and filled holes so it may be coming from a filler rather than the wood itself.

Since it's seeping through a water-based undercoat should I try an oil-based one? And if so, what should I do to prepare the current surface and can I then use the water-based satin topcoat or do I need to use an oil-based one instead?

Many thanks
Liz

Sponsored Links
I would go for solvent based here. It's ok to put solvent based topcoats strait onto the acrylic undercoat. Myself i would put 2 coats of sovent based satinwood on now without anymore undercoats.

There are blockers like zinsser http://www.zinsser.com/subcat.asp?categoryid=1
if you really want to continue with acrylic.
Good luck.

I would go for solvent based here. It's ok to put solvent based topcoats strait onto the acrylic undercoat. Myself i would put 2 coats of sovent based satinwood on now without anymore undercoats.

Well that seems straightforward - thanks jondecs :D

Thing is though is that Satinwood will not last outside if its open to the elements. satinwood is a great finish but just not weatherproof.
Dulux all seasons masonry paint however will do a similar job and is weather proof and as its pliolite based will dry in 15 mins

Sponsored Links
Just to confuse..Dulux do a water based satin finish for exteriors.

:oops: :oops:
Of course they don't do satin exterior in Solvent based. :oops:

Well it was a little late when I replied >>>groveling :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back