Covers for bathroom spotlights which protrude into the loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting spotlights in my bathroom ceiling which protrude into the loft. Are there covers you can get for them to stop draughts, heat dissapation and also allow you to neatly butt loft insulation up to?

Sponsored Links
Flower pots with lots of holes in them is one I have frequently read ont this forum.

45ranger said:
I'm putting spotlights in my bathroom ceiling which protrude into the loft.

I hope you have suitable downlights rated at IPX4 or above and have notified your BCO as electrical work in the bathroom is notifiable.

45ranger said:
Are there covers you can get for them to stop draughts

If the hole drilled is of the correct diameter you won't get any noticeable draughts from the loft.

45ranger said:
heat dissapation

Why would you want to stop heat dissipation? Downlights produce stupid amounts of heat and this has to be able to escape freely.

45ranger said:
and also allow you to neatly butt loft insulation up to?

You can just tear the loft insulation from around the downlights and the jobs a good'un. No need for covers/hoods.

Davy

Sponsored Links
There is no way to fit downlights, without comprimising the building regs, or comprimising the safety of the downlights.

If you want to insulate over them, may i suggest energy saving lamps for the downlighters? These produce much less heat (its negligible compared to the heat from a normal GU10)

Look, it's easy.

Don't want to look like a chav? Don't fit downlights.

(On the chav front, you'll want to also check whether you have any of the following, all paid for by your remortgage: four-wheel drive to ferry the kids to school, plasma screen TV larger than your living room window, laminate flooring in every room, Glade plug-in fire hazards in every available socket, a wardrobe dominated by 'lesiure-wear', subscriptions to gossip magazines, a disabled sticker for parking illegally on double yellow lines, compo lawyers on speed- dial, a total disregard for any of the road traffic laws... etc...)

Proper IP44 downlights are sealed to stop moisture going into the loft space. They will also stop draughts goig into the bathroom.

TTC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back