Covid-19 discussion

Death is the irrefutable consequence of life. So why all of a sudden are people so afraid of death, .
I guess it is an evolutionary thing, not wanting to die seems to be an instinctive characteristic amongst all living creatures. As to why now? CV is a very big unknown and it must be the first major pandemic since we invented mass social media and non stop news coverage - we do seem to be winding ourselves up into a crescendo. Even I am feeling very uneasy about it, we're just being fed this fear 24/7.

Is it a lot worse than they are letting on? why are so many countries so freely destroying their own economies? it is just bizarre, the resulting economic mess will kill millions, may even lead to wars. I really am not getting what is happening, the whole thing is becoming a bit scary.

Sponsored Links
It's as if someone is in charge of the whole world and has planned it - for some as yet unknown reason.

Spooky.

Sponsored Links
I guess it is an evolutionary thing, not wanting to die seems to be an instinctive characteristic amongst all living creatures. As to why now? CV is a very big unknown and it must be the first major pandemic since we invented mass social media and non stop news coverage - we do seem to be winding ourselves up into a crescendo. Even I am feeling very uneasy about it, we're just being fed this fear 24/7.

Is it a lot worse than they are letting on? why are so many countries so freely destroying their own economies? it is just bizarre, the resulting economic mess will kill millions, may even lead to wars. I really am not getting what is happening, the whole thing is becoming a bit scary.
Edit: this rant is not really aimed at you.

One in a hundred dying (in addition to normal in a short time) is quite a lot. But if it were just those 1% dropping dead that'd only be 500,000 or so Brits dead. However it isn't just 1 in 100 getting sick and dying. Around 8% need to be admitted to hospital.

That's 4,000,000 people needing to go to hospital above normal. We have around 140,000 beds. Even if the rest of the country stopped being ill for any reason during the time there wouldn't be anywhere near enough beds. At that point you have much higher death rates from Covid-19 as people who could be saved with minor treatment can't get it, so they die.

Then because there isn't enough beds people with other illnesses die.

Then because NHS staff get infected and have to go off sick, or have died, there isn't enough staff. So more patients die.

Then, when people really get scared because people are literally dying in the streets the really bad **** kicks off.

If you do nothing then the results will be biblical. If you do a little then they'll be terrible. You have to go over the top or it gets out of control insanely fast.

Could it be terrible? Absolutely. Will it be, probably not, because we're finally taking suitable measures. It's going to be fascinating looking back at places like the UK and US where we dithered and South Korea where they went straight to 11.

It's going to get worse before it gets better. Two or three weeks of the death rate climbing and then perhaps it will start to level and drop.

An utterly meaningless jumble of words; well done (y)
how so?

somebody can be living with COPD

or somebody with COPD can get covid and be dead

some people on here seem to think these two are the same

Can only hope it will drop. It's not happening in Italy yet as far as I know?

note that the number of deaths from covid (~2,000) has just passed the annual death toll of road traffic accidents and, coincidentally, the total number of cases of covid is about the same as the annual number of serious injuries (~29,000) from RTAs from which I assume people never fully recover.
It is on top of RTA deaths...not instead of...Not sure what point you are making..2000 is also about 6 737 max crashes too....Look how the loss of two affected Boeing

Here's an interesting article in The Spectator.

I've been saying something similar for a few weeks now. People are being classed as dying from Coid-19 when, in actual fact, they have tested positive for Covid but have an underlying condition which they would probably have died from anyway.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article...IyrH89qh2I-t2O3s3Khyk6ifhSC5gYjtDM476rp9cMQq4

Read the article above in conjunction with the graph in this link, (from Imperial College London not something someone drew up and posted on FB), and you can see that Covid is not actually increasing the expected death rate, merely being used as the cause instead of the true cause being recorded and adding that they also had the virus.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3354784131202994&set=p.3354784131202994&type=3&theater

I've come close to banging my head against a brick wall trying to explain tosome people that, yes, Tom/Dick/Harry had Covid and died. But Tom/Dick/Harry also had COPD for the past 15 years and was not expected to live this long! It was the COPD which he died of even though he had the virus.
Not sure what point you are making...As said, if someone is suffering chronic disease and they contract corona and die within a week of corona....then corona killed them.

"possible"...."quite a normal life"....

Non-committal, meaningless, and rubbish.

Unless "quite a normal life" means "not doing much really, because even the act of breathing gets you out of breath"...
Relatives of mine have COPD and live a normal life....including dog walking for miles every day.

Relatives of mine have COPD and live a normal life....including dog walking for miles every day.

I suppose it depends on one's definition of "normal". One of the symptoms of COPD is "shortness of breath".

My old next door neighbour was in his forties, and had a dodgy heart. He spent hours and hours walking his dog. Not at any great pace, but he spent hours doing it. Could he run? No. Could he do much around the house or garden? No. Was his a "normal life"?

suppose it depends on one's definition of "normal". O
Copd..asthma...
Alsorts....leads to shortness of breath....for a 75 year old COPD sufferer who gets up at 5am everyday walks the dog...does the housework...sews...swims...etc in a day....THAT is what I call a normal life....What is your definition of ""normal"" at 75?????

Sponsored Links
Back