Coving adhesive or no nails??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i got sum 127mm plaster coving an wondering if that forget nails adhesive is any good, i got several tubes i can use but have got sum plaster coving adhesive aswell, iv also been rtold to use artex by a cover , wot do think would be best,,, iv been told the proper adhesive sets rather quick an this is my first go at coving

Sponsored Links
use dry wall adhesive. it dries white, got good grab, has a longish workable period and limited shrinkage.

if youve got the adhesive use it, drywall is sound for sticking it up but keep a sponge handy to wipe it off because it sets hard too hard to sand down ;)

Sponsored Links
Hi Dazztee
Texture powder is also ideal, you can mix it to the required thick consistency, it won't dry out as quick as drywall/plasterboard adhesive, but as JBonding points out keep a sponge or wet brush handy to clean off the surface once fixed.
Dale

Word of caution though "D.Ovenstone" do not use cheap texture compound i.e. contract artex etc..........

Hi Third eye
having coved for over 15 years I have always used cheap artex, (mainley something called Clintex, but not ax artex), never ever had any problems as yet, why do you say that ? :eek:

When i say cheap artex i mean artex that can be bought at £3 a bag ! Also, i was on job many moons ago and the contractor used Contract Artex, that was the name of the artex and some guys used it for applying coving. However, six months later the coving fell off when using Contract Artex. Also, it's like British Gypsum have 3 types of powder artex being Artex Powder Texture Finish, Site Finish & Cieling Finish, Therefore all having different chemical compounds and diferent costs. However as you stated that you have coved for 15 years with no probs, then the stuff u use can be used. All i am explaining is that not all artex types can be used as a coving adhesive. So be carefull if u ever try to use Contract Artex. Also, iv'e neva heard of Clintex, where do you get it and is there a url for it. Also, what artex do you find the best ?

Hello again Third eye
Clintex have been around for quite a few years, I started using it because the brand I was using for texturing site & private work was difficult to mix (we used bumpers then) and seemed to go off too quickly and drag, (not mentioning any names) this was proving to be a pain in the butt, even as quick as I am, but discovered clintex a little later on and gave it a try, fantastic product, at first it shrunk back too much when used for patterning or stipple but they soon remedied this, I use it on all my jobs, for taping/caulking, coving, and especially creating texture patterns because from all the many textured powders that I have tried clintex, if you mix it correctly and prepare your area sufficiently gives you the best amount of time for patterning, but however hard I would try, I could never find 25 kg of texture powder for £3, even over 25 years ago, I think it may have been around £4 then, but, the rates may be different across the UK. :D
Clintex is also hard to get hold of now in my area in the last 6 months

Regards
Dale

Hehe, i know what you mean when you say, "because the brand I was using for texturing site & private work was difficult to mix (we used bumpers then) and seemed to go off too quickly and drag, (not mentioning any names) this was proving to be a pain in the butt, even as quick as I am" Bloody nightmare isnt it when combing grrrrrrrrrrrr. I find the best is Weber Artex http://www.weberbuildingsolutions.co.uk/Servlet/Welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back