Coving-problem with corner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Know this is routine for many. I replaced section of coving which fell off. You will see from images in album that there is trunking with pipework in corner so we have an internal right hand immediately followed by external right hand so to speak. I have just cut as internal right hand as you can see.

Can anyone suggest how I deal with this unusual but not unique problem?

Many thanks

L View media item 35751 View media item 35750 View media item 35749 View media item 35748 View media item 35747

Sponsored Links
You could try and scribe another section of coving in order to get the best fit possible, try placing some tracing paper over the area and marking the outline with a pencil. Then copy onto another section of coving and make good with filler.

Dec

Thanks

Just thought that this situation was fairly common and that there would be an established workaround.

Agree with the dec - just that I would use a piece of cardboard - say a cereal packet

Sponsored Links
just measure the gap at the top. mark that distance at the bottom edge of the coving. Then make a vertical cut upward at that point- the process is referred to as scribing.

The coving then should butt up to the original coving.

Apologies

Just realised that not quite clear about the ref to "vertical cut upwards at that point" I understand that the marks will be on the bottom as that will be the ceiling edge but how do you cut upwards in the mitre etc.

Sorry to be thick.

Apologies

Just realised that not quite clear about the ref to "vertical cut upwards at that point" I understand that the marks will be on the bottom as that will be the ceiling edge but how do you cut upwards in the mitre etc.

Sorry to be thick.

Sorry if I didn't explain it very clearly.

Hope the picture helps- xcm is the distance from the corner to the edge of the coving, this is the amount you need to remove from the bottom edge, cutting upwards along the dotted line.

cut.jpg

(I am assuming that you removed the new coving after realising the problem)

Don't think I'd bother messing around with that bit. You could fill it with filler(easifill) and then run a trowel down the curve of the existing stuff. When dry sand lightly and job done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back