Coving removal and cracking cement.....

B

blueberry

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and would like some advice.

I've been removing old wood coving in preparation to re-cover an old fibreboard ceiling with plasterboard.

It has been a pain to get off and behind the coving there is cracked cement and in some places it's crumbling....(maybe my heavy-handedness!)

Do I need to remove this and re-cement it before I put my plasterboard up?

There are holes where I had to use my cold chisel to get in behind the coving :/

Sponsored Links
AAMOI: there was no need to remove the coving to enable new plaster board to be fixed to the ceiling. There are simple methods of dealing with such details.

Have you attacked the coving all around the room in question?

Your pic wont expand and is very blurry - could you post fresh pics showing detail?

Thanks for your input, I wanted to remove the coving so new plasterboard can be put up flush against the existing ceiling and screwed through into the existing joists. I didn't want to make my ceiling much lower than it already is by leaving coving there and boarding up against it. All the coving has been removed now and the issue has been sorted.

My only question was whether I needed to repair the cracked/crumbling cement before new plaster board is put up, or wait and cement it after.

Sponsored Links
Typically, no "cement" will have been used or will be required.

Simply screw the new p/b into place - it will cover any damaged patches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back