Cowboy builders on a flat roof- with pics!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hello I am wondering if anyone would be any help.

I am currently renting a house.

the landlord had a firm in to replace a flat garage roof. I am convinced the company were cowboys and warned her of this.

After some rain today the roof is already leaking and I took a good look at the work done and some things stuck out that i think is dangerous and would appreciate if someone could comment. I am unsure what they have used to cover the roof but i think it could be tar or something. i am going to get ladders and have a look tomorrow.

I have uploaded some photos for your viewing pleasure

It looks like the joists are held by a think piece 2"? piece of wood which is held in by wood screws. is this normal practice? surely its not safe.

The plywood is 11mm thick is this ok?
spot the deliberate mistake with the cracked joist?
is cutting notches in those joists good practice? not sure if the firm did this or not but i suspect so

Sponsored Links
The notching and joist support is an acceptable method, but in this case the joists have been notched too much and are now effectively performing as joists half their depth - hence the split joist.

11mm deck sheets can be acceptable depending on the joist spacing, but is not the thickness of choice for a typical garage roof

It's potentially a cheap job. So it depends on the price charged. But either way, the joists need strengthening at the ends to stop more spliting

Thanks for the response. The. Fact it's leaking all over the place suggests its not done right. I didn't want them fobbing off landlord with excuses

I believe the charged around £1,300 fo the 'job,

Sponsored Links
What was used on the flat roof? green mineral torch on?

If its the latter, im guessing they haven't applied enough heat to this,hence all the leaks.. a few pics would be interesting? is there any measurements of the roof?

What was used on the flat roof? green mineral torch on?

If its the latter, im guessing they haven't applied enough heat to this,hence all the leaks.. a few pics would be interesting? is there any measurements of the roof?

Why are you replying to old threads? Can understand if you want to put your point accross but asking the dude for pictures? I think he has probably sorted it.

Old threads should have an auto lock on them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back