Cowboy builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Back in August we decided to have an extension built replacing our old damp garage. We got several quotes and checked previous work on the company we decided on.

The company I decided on was XXXXXXXXXX They agreed to do the job for a specified amount within 6 weeks.

They duly demolished the garage and dug out the earth from the back garden to make way for the new extension. They arrived with breeze block to build a retaining wall. This wall is to hold back a fair sized hill. They had drawings which detailed the retaining wall specifications. The wall called for engineering brick and metal reinforcment rods.

This was where the first delay appeared. For two weeks they hummed and hawed about the spec. Eventually another brickie was brought on to the job who said there was no problem with the spec and had the wall completed in five days.

We were now three weeks into a six week job and still no founds dug. I had agreed to pay them in three stages, when the founds were dug and laid, when the extension was at roof height and final payment when the extension was at an advanced stage inside.

I don't know how I went wrong but I ended up paying them 90% of the money before I realised there was a problem.

Every time I made a payment they would disappear for days. Then they would turn up for a couple of hours a day and do the minimum. I eventually had a blow out with XXXXXX who said that the retaining wall had cost a lot more than he had allowed for and all the other trades were holding him back. This was on week 14 of the 6 week job.

He told me my windows and roof would be done that week. They fitted a new back door which building control said had the wrong glass in it and it would have to be replaced. XXXXX said the windows were the same and the window company did not have correct glass in stock. This meant another delay of three weeks.

They did bugger all in that three weeks but part of the roof tiles and roughcast the gablewall. This was only because I kept moaning at them to get this done so we could get scaffolding off my neighbour's drive which had been there for eight weeks. On the day they did the roof and gable wall they took the scaffolding down. The next morning XXXXX phoned me at 06:45 to say he needed a cheque for £2000 to get the windows and material for the roof. I had taken over the payment of materials as I thought he was using my money for other jobs.

I advised him he would get anything due to him when the job was finished. He said he would need to work on another job to get money and I did not hear from him for another week. This was week 18. In this time my wife and I had started looking around for other people to do part of the work. We had our own electrician and had priced windows to be fitted. I had a call from XXXXX asking me to call him back. When I did I could tell he had been drinking. He told me he needed a cheque that day and the windows would be delivered and fitted the next day. He also said the roof would be completed.

I advised him to bring the windows and I would pay for them. He said he needed money up front. I told him I did not believe he had ordered the windows. At this point everything took a step from which there would be no turning back from. He said I did not know who I was dealing with and that he would come to my house and rip my f........ing head off. I hung up and called the police.

His girlfriend called back and apologised and said he would be out on the Wednesday and finsh the job. Wednesday, no builders. I instructed the window company I had been speaking to to come and install windows.

On the Saturday his brother XXXXX called and asked me what I wanted to do with the windows they had. I told him to shove them. He said he would be on the job the next day. When I asked why, he said he had to get his tools. I advised him to let me know when so I could have a police officer standing by. He never showed. The following Monday when we were at work they came and took their tools away. They cut the poltythene they had over the window openings and gained access. They took everything including the cement mixer which I was told they had bought with my money.

The next day I had my windows installed by a professional company. I have also had the roof finished by another professional.

At the end of the day I found out that XXXX boy was a hardened drinker and was disappearing off the job when the pubs opened. His brother would then disappear to pick him up because he was so drunk. People have said I should take them to court but at the end of the day I would not get anywhere. The only recourse I have is to turn violent but that would only be stooping to their level. I will just try to make people aware of these cowboys and hope to stop any other honest person being taken advantage of by these scum.

I am still looking for trades ie joiner, roughcaster and plumber to finish the job so if you know of any reputable tradesmen let me know.

Sponsored Links
Who'd of thought you'd get a hardened drinker in Glasgow?!

i can only say that its builder like them,,, that give most of us there problems,, and leaves people like you in the crap that need locking up ......as a builder i can only reasure you that there are good builder out there . :LOL:

It's a minefield. Probably no use now but consider legal assistance cover on your home insurance. At least you will have someone on the end of phone to give some advice and if lucky you may have a case and someone to persue it for you.

We have recently been stung too - anger, annoyance, rage........

When I have trademen in now I make it clear I won't pay unless satisfied - even Trading Standards tell you not to pay anything until all is OK.

Be careful what you agree to verbally too.

Good Luck.

Sponsored Links
NOTE TO MODERATORS

Is there any chance we could have a site where we could type in a Builders name or company name and find out if they are a load of *******s or are Kosher.

I am a building services engineer and as a younger man in my thirties I decided that I would build my own extension to my house due to experiences of friends with builders.
I am now a qualified bricklayer and when I have any work done now I immediately spot a rogue which is nearly always. If a builder is worth his salt he is busy if you find someone straight away sadly he will usually be rubbish or unreliable or both.
I usually find I am far better qualified than all of them.

drunk-irish-048.gif

I usually find I am far better qualified than all of them.

amazing you can get your head out the door in the mornings then.
i love a dreamer.(builders anyway)

Agreed :LOL:

biffo said:
I need to buld a curved retaining wall either side of a garage with brick facing up to 1.5m diminishing down to .5m any ideas on an easy construction that will be robust and durable.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=128861

Your all encompassing knowledge and skills are very evident here :rolleyes:

looks like frales (the op) gave up, last post was march 2nd 08, asking about plumbing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back