Honest builder?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

I own a detached house. It is breezeblock with roughcast applied. The house was build in 1976 - an ex council house. I tried to insulate my walls but I was told they could not do the work because the render (drycast) had bossed in places. He advised that I repair the walls and the same time insulate them.

I have been saving for the last two years. I got a quote - £4900 to remove and replace all the roughcasting. I work full time so the person came to the house in my absence. I had another quote from another contractor who has a website with references. He approached it a different way. He told me that in most places the house was sound but in some places the render had bossed. He suggested putting up dry ridge to repair the edges of the gable. I thought that was a sensible idea. He quoted me £900 for the materials of the dry ridge and three days of labour. He told me £1000 for the roughcast. He suggested I then get the wall treated with special paint that will be guaranteed for 20 years by the manufacterer and his work is guaranteed for 10 years. I thought it all sounded fair and got a written quote from him. I paid a deposit of £200 to cover materials.

He came on Monday night to say he would be able to do the work today. He said there would be four of them to do the work. He said they had visitied and had a look at the roof and some of the batons were rotten so he would probably have to replace them whilst doing the work and it might cost a bit more. I hear from a neighbour he turned up mid morning. He said that there were two people working on the house and was here until about 3pm. When I got home the job looked good from the ground.

However he arrived and said that they had had to remove the whole roof, refelt the roof and found some asbestos! This really threw me as he had my number and told me nothing of this! I had agreed I would have another £500 for him and would give him the rest later.

He said he had had to dispose of the asbestos. He told me that the work is an extra £800!!! HE says I also have to replace the guttering very soon. I asked him how much that would be and he said and that will be £500. The gable walls are 18 foot wide.

I have given him £700 for the materials and towards labour. I have the quote and a receipt.

I have written to the council as I did some research about the asbestos disposal. I contacted the council to see if he has disposed of this asbestos as his description of disposal sounded far more simplistic than the council site describe. I feel really out of my depth here. Alarm bells are ringing, especially about the asbestos. I have contacted another roofer to find out how much I should be expecting to pay. I have emailed the orignal guy to get a full breakdown in wriitng for the actual work carried out so I can understand what I am paying for and a proper receipt.

I want to be fair. I'm just feeling very nervous. I've been stung before. It takes me a long time to save up money and I worry that I am being ripped off and that the work might be not up to standard.

My neighbour said they just had ladders and didn't have any special gear clothing wise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Hi rachel,

You will discover that a lot of tradesmen here will be wary of siding with ac ustomer, as we only hear one side of the story. But if you are being honest, then you are being stitched up.

I wouldn't like to comment on the cost aspect, as it is not my field, but it sounds like a typical scam - quote x and charge Y.

In England, no contract or invoice is enforcable if the trader hasn't followed the provisions of the DSR (doorstep sellling regultaions), which insist that you have a right to cancel within a set period, and you MUST be informed of this right. To be fair, I don't know if thisios the case in the North, but Google it.

Regs aside, do you feel physically intimidated by these people, as, unfortunately, brute force generally outweighs legal protection.

If you feel safe and confident, then refuse to pay anymore until they have shown some evidence of thier claimed actions. Record every thing, and send any mail by recorded delivery. Look at small claims court online, it is not as daunting as you would expect.

Good luck

Hello,

II have been saving for the last two years. I got a quote - £4900 to remove and replace all the roughcasting. I work full time so the person came to the house in my absence. ***I had another quote from another contractor who has a website with references. ***I want to be fair. I'm just feeling very nervous. I've been stung before. It takes me a long time to save up money and I worry that I am being ripped off and that the work might be not up to standard.

My neighbour said they just had ladders and didn't have any special gear clothing wise.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Any fool can get a website :idea:

Rachel I think you already know the answer yourself but need to hear it from someone else in order to be sure?

The guy is definitely at it. 1) No builder would remove asbestos without talking to the customer first. 2) If he says has removed the tiles and refelted and retiled the roof from mid morning to 3pm then he is making quite a ridiculous claim.

I am sorry that you've paid him. Maybe there is some way to lead him along a bit, get him to finish what you actually asked him to do - repair the render, then only pay him what you agreed to pay him - £1900.

Sponsored Links
so he is a licensed asbestos removal contractor then? he will have the paperwork to prove this of course? otherwise he's worked ilegally and should be reported to the hse for putting yours and others health at risk

I really feel for you, can you not ask him to simply carry out the agreed works and tell him you will look at having any further work done later down the line? Or has he carried out all the work already?

The advice I always give is only use a tradesman that come's recommended.

Any fool can get a website :idea:

****** were camped out a few months back in a local industrial estate. Whilst walking past, I noticed a shiny new van amongst the caravans and rusty tippers. Was nicely signwritten (building, roofing and driveways) had website, plus landline and mobile numbers on the signage. Very convincing indeed. It's a minefield out there for the novice punter. :!:

Indeed - and they were exactly the vans I was alluding to ;)

Sounds like a typical Pykie scam. You'll get no help from Trading Standards or the Council as they are scared of the Pykies.

Sorry, but you been had. :cry:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back