What's the right thing to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

I'd like some advice please on what the right thing to do is.

I am having some work done which was to take off the front wall of my garage to install a new window and replace the old bricks. The work also includes an inner block wall and a new warm roof on a 2.5x1.5m area.

He has told me today the work is taking longer than thought as some of it has been fiddly, i.e. the brickwork has taken 2.5 days when he thought it would be a day. he has also said he will be out of pocket.

He has been working between my job and another in the area and has said this is the main reason he could do the job for the price quoted.

We agreed on a fixed fee up front, and he has done an excellent job so far. Obviously I don't want him to be out of pocket, but what is the right thing to do?

He knew exactly what was needed when he took the job on, the only addition has been to add an extra course of bricks under the window and an internal concrete lintel.

Should I offer to pay for this as a good gesture or is it his responsibility as he quoted a fixed price.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Tell him to complete the work as he agreed but if he feels there has been extra work then you will consider his claim for extras at the end of the job.

You need to encourage him to complete the job without promising to pay more unless it can be justified, eg you extra course of bricks.

if you had a fixed price for a fixed scope of work, and then increased the scope of work, then of course you must pay extra money for the extra work. However if he incorrectly estimated the time it would take, the agreed price still applies to the original scope.

The correct thing to do is to say in advance "I might want you to lay an extra course of bricks and put up a lintel, what would that cost?" Then you both have the chance to consider and agree or refuse before the work is done.

If the price is not agreed in advance, you are obligated to pay "a fair price" which you might base on the amount of time the extra work took.

Sponsored Links
if you had a fixed price for a fixed scope of work, and then increased the scope of work, then of course you must pay extra money for the extra work. However if he incorrectly estimated the time it would take, the agreed price still applies to the original scope.

The correct thing to do is to say in advance "I might want you to lay an extra course of bricks and put up a lintel, what would that cost?" Then you both have the chance to consider and agree or refuse before the work is done.

If the price is not agreed in advance, you are obligated to pay "a fair price" which you might base on the amount of time the extra work took.

Thanks, the extra course of bricks was because I wanted the window a bit higher, but the lintel was his decision. (I understand some things come up that no one could have foretold)

Everything else has been in scope.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back