cowboy builders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I will cut this short as the situation has been going on for 9 years so dont want anyone to die of boredom. Basically the new development I live in is a complete botch job from the first layer of cement to the roof. Mushrooms growing out of walls, incorrect stack pipes, window frames not fitted properly, everything. The situation that concerns me as I am on the top floor is the roof insulation. I was told that the reason why the top floor residents are freezing during winter (despite having double glazing) is because nothing is in the roof. Then I was told there was 120mm which is acceptable. My question is, why did my neighbour have water leaking down from her ceiling and why have I had mould on all my ceilings? I have spoken to a guy who did thermal imaging of the block I am in, and he said it is letting out loads of heat. I want to make sure I know what Im talking about before I contact my housing association, as they will try to wriggle out of any responsibility as they have before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Having worked for a HA I know about Latent Defects ( as they are called ) and it was always a battle between us " lowly" repairers (tradesmen) and the architects in the company . We were all employed by the HA . Now that it's all subbed out - Good luck with getting any sense out of your HA

Hi

Gregers: I cannot look inside my roof I live in a block of flats, I cannot and would not be able to go on top of a block of flats. When it is windy outside my extractor fan blows out cold air, I dont know if this is normal.

Nige: The developers blamed the HA for not maintaining the roof, the HA blamed the developers for shoddy work. I just need to know for what reasons I have mould on my ceiling. if the roof is insulated properly then what's gone wrong? Once I know the possibilities then I can go to the HA.

Sponsored Links
If you have mould on your ceiling, that could be due to insufficient ventilation, insufficient heating, or substandard insulation, or possibly the lack of a vapour barrier.

Your description is too vague for anyone to give specific advice.

Pics would help.

If you have mould on your ceiling, that could be due to insufficient ventilation, insufficient heating, or substandard insulation, or possibly the lack of a vapour barrier.

Your description is too vague for anyone to give specific advice.

Pics would help.

Hello Tony
There is insufficient ventilation as the walls were packed too tight thats why there's mould on my outside walls as well as internal ceilings. The electric heaters are apparently no good but thats all I know. I cant get pictures of the roof unfortunately.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back