Cowboy builders additional info

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I will cut this short as the situation has been going on for 9 years so dont want anyone to die of boredom. Basically the new development I live in is a complete botch job from the first layer of cement to the roof. Mushrooms growing out of walls, incorrect stack pipes, window frames not fitted properly, everything. The situation that concerns me as I am on the top floor is the roof insulation. I was told that the reason why the top floor residents are freezing during winter (despite having double glazing) is because nothing is in the roof. Then I was told there was 120mm which is acceptable. My question is, why did my neighbour have water leaking down from her ceiling and why have I had mould on all my ceilings? I have spoken to a guy who did thermal imaging of the block I am in, and he said it is letting out loads of heat. I want to make sure I know what Im talking about before I contact my housing association, as they will try to wriggle out of any responsibility as they have before. Any advice would be appreciated.
Thank you
PS They are now replacing all the ceilings in my flat why would they need to do that if the 120mm is acceptable.
Read more: //www.diynot.com/diy/threads/cowboy-builders.432766/#ixzz3YWvQQ6mN[b][/b]

Sponsored Links
At the risk of dying of boredom, and it is a high risk, you will have to provide us with more useful information. Are you an owner or tenant? What is the construction, what has gone on before, why are your ceilings being replaced, flat or pitched roof? Who told you there was no insulation, who said there was? Got some photos? The quality of the answers you receive is directly related to the quality of the information provided. That's why your last thread went largely unanswered.

At the risk of dying of boredom, and it is a high risk, you will have to provide us with more useful information. Are you an owner or tenant? What is the construction, what has gone on before, why are your ceilings being replaced, flat or pitched roof? Who told you there was no insulation, who said there was? Got some photos? The quality of the answers you receive is directly related to the quality of the information provided. That's why your last thread went largely unanswered.

Hi
As mentioned previously I cannot get pictures, I live on the top floor of a block of social housing flats. I know the roof is flat which apparently was wrong as rainwater was just sitting on the top a could not drain off. I was initially told by one of the workmen there wasnt any insulation, then I briefly saw a picture of some blue padding which apparently was the insulation. It is very difficult to get any proper answers as the HA has already been taken to court by the next block, and although we have suffered greatly when we ask questions the reply is either highly technical or ignored. When they said they are putting in a new ceiling I asked why im still waiting for a reply weeks later.

Sponsored Links
I think you should contact your Local Authority environmental protection service.

There's no need for that, my last post was accidental, even freddy makes mistakes, anyway you've not really added anything more that's useful, now excuse me while I go and die.

I think you should contact your Local Authority environmental protection service.

Thank you for replying. I have called them, basically they said its not their problem. I think I will just write to the HA based on the fact they're replacing my ceilings. Clearly something's wrong.

I'm bored. And I'm (sort of) back. :p

As a tenant your landlord would normally have a duty to repair defective parts of the structure, but may not have a duty to correct poor work.

Your councils environmental dept should investigate claims of Statutory Nuisance (you have to specifically claim this) - which are situations which are hazardous to your health - eg a leaking roof causing damp which then could make you ill. But there are specific criteria to be met.

The council won't investigate if your Association is managing ex-council homes such as in an ALMO or stock transfer. In this case you need a private environmental officer to deal with it. Or you can ask for what is known as a HHSRS survey - google that.

You need to tune your complaint specifically in context of the landlord and tenant repairing obligations. Its not how the tenant thinks the property should have been built, but the landlords obligations under your tenancy agreement.

As to the problem. Well, mould on a ceiling can be due to insufficient insulation, or poor ventilation, but that does not imply that the property was built incorrectly. Or it can be due you causing it and the normal things you do in the flat. Or there could be a defect.

You need to determine the cause first, and then that will determine the responsibility for it. If you don't have the knowledge, then you need to instruct an expert to advise you. Not a bloke with a thermal camera, but someone who knows about buildings and L&T law.

Be suspicious if the Association's surveyor does not do or want to do a full investigation, but just puts it down to your "lifestyle" without an explanation.

Thanks Woody, the problem was the developers and the HA were blaming each other for the problems, however its interesting you mentioned the landlords obligations as thats just what they were taken to court for by the neighbouring block. Im not in a position to get someone privately but will contact the other block to see what the outcome was.

Thank you for your time:)

You might be able to get a housing disrepair claim going via Solicitors on a no-win no fee basis

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back