what are the odds to hire a cowboy builder?!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have hired some people to do some jobs in my house.

I got them from web sites where those builders have their profile and info and people would rate them.

I searched a lot of web sites and found some builders responding to my ad on those web sites, i looked at their review and rating and decided later.

But why people still fall victims to cowboy builders?

how many times we heard of them? how tv programmes were made about cowboy builders?

is it because people don't use these we bsites and don't watch these shows? or those high rated builders just suddenly turn into cowboy builders?!

Sponsored Links
Don't rule out that you have not hired one.
Just because they are registered on a one of those my magic rated hammer services people websites don't mean they are not cowboys!
Have the website guaranteed they wont turn up in a pair of wranglers and a stetson on?

I searched a lot of web sites and found some builders responding to my ad on those web sites, i looked at their review and rating and decided later.
Shame you didn't realise you can use any email address and add reviews to your own page to boost reviews. :evil:

how many times we heard of them? how tv programmes were made about cowboy builders?
Shame they don't name/shame the rogue customers, you only hear oneside of the story.

is it because people don't use these we bsites and don't watch these shows? or those high rated builders just suddenly turn into cowboy builders?!
Only idiots use them websites and watch the over rated programmes like Dominic Littlewood who knows f*ck all about the building trade, I knew him when he was a jumped up car salesman. :rolleyes:

Only idiots use them websites and watch the over rated programmes like Dominic Littlewood who knows f*ck all about the building trade, I knew him when he was a jumped up car salesman. :rolleyes:
It intrigues me that the good viewing public seem to think the likes of Mr Littlewood can actual prevent the cowboy builder from lassoing his/her customers. I suppose we get a nice view of some grand babs and at least the the troubled house owner gets some work down.

Sponsored Links
That's where the gypos get their work. I thought everyone knew that by now.

Well,,,, with all these programs on TV about "Cowboy Builders" etc, I'm surprised anyone has extensions/annexes/conservatories, etc built. Much better to just buy a house and leave it the way it was when you bought it..

Scud, from what i have read and understand - although I have no personal experience, it is difficult, if not impossible, to file NEGATIVE comments on these sites. Remember thaat the tradesman PAYS THE WEBSITE, and they donlt want to upsety their source of income.

Relatively speaking, not many tradesman actually use these sites, and when I looked on MYHAMMER recently there was no one advertising for a job to be done within 38 miles.

Scud, perhaps you could come back when the work is done, and let us know how it panned out, and whether you entered +or - comments?

He should look at that post by 'Walkingwithturkeys'. From a few months ago in this very forum.

Sponsored Links
Back