How did you choose a builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How did you choose a builder
I am currently carrying out research into the decision making process made by homeowners, on how they set about choosing a builder/tradesman. Please spare me one minute of your time to carry out my quick and simple survey. The research is being carried out by myself, and will form the primary data used for my dissertation.

http://www.smart-survey.co.uk/v.asp?i=43401uwekk

The research aims to investigate the decision making process made by UK homeowners when employing tradesmen to carry out improvement works on their homes and why they chose their particular builder. Was the decision made by homeowners based purely on price, reputation or the availability of the tradesmen.

There is a great deal of material available in the forms of books and web sites on how to choose the right builder, however do homeowners take any notice of the advice given from the various sources on how to choose good tradesmen. Do homeowners ask tradesmen any of the relevant questions as advised to do so by a number of recognised organisations.

Does marketing or the internet have an effect on homeowners decision making process. If people do use the internet to search for a builder then there are a number of variables: what web site they search on, what search term they use and what area or distance from them do they use.

Would the answers I seek to find out be beneficial to tradesmen in understanding why their businesses are successful or unsuccessful.

Sponsored Links
Price is a huge factor obviously.

However, if all the quotes coming in are similar then what is the next determining factor?

recommendation from friends and family plays a big role also.

Quality of work.

Tidy and on time.

One thing that clinches a deal for me, time after time, is that we only ever do one job at a time. We start a project and finish a project and go to no other job in the meantime.

We are also regimental in our timekeeping.

No radios and no smokers.

Make our own tea and do not leave the site for breaks.

Builders from heaven........ :LOL:

That sounds really good Mr Nose. Hope all your customers appreciate your professionalism.

One thing that clinches a deal for me, time after time, is that we only ever do one job at a time. We start a project and finish a project and go to no other job in the meantime.
:LOL:
Quite rare in the trade. Most builders like to start a load of jobs to make sure that they get them.
Very annoying for the punters though.

Sponsored Links
Quite rare in the trade. Most builders like to start a load of jobs to make sure that they get them.
Very annoying for the punters though.
This is the one thing that crops up time after time, when listening to folks's gripes.

"..yeah he was a good builder and everything, if only he were there..."

I make a promise to customers that i will only be working on their job, which is backed up by any previous customers over say, the last decade.

However, in my 30 years in the building trade, i have made it so that i have learned ALL the skills necessary to build an extension from foundations to finished article.

A lot of builders gravitate from bricklayer to builder and retain only the bricklaying skills. This means that they build 'the shell' then move on to the next job whilst using subbies to build the roof, plaster out etc.

I'm mainly a bricklayer, although I will do the other trades at home. If I had my time again I would aim to get better at more of the trades.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back