How to choose a builder - is the FMB site the best source ?

When I joined the FMB a few years ago, they asked for references from different sized jobs-small to large. I had a few phone calls from customers saying that they had been in touch asking about quality of work,any problems etc etc.
The FMB is a good start, but just because your builder isnt a member doesnt mean he isnt upto sratch.
Recommendations work for me every time.

Sponsored Links
As a member perhaps you could confirm if they really do have their own arbitration scheme or if they use someone else's ? Thanks

If the customer uses one of their free contracts, then there are several dispute resolution schemes mentioned with the terms, and these are all independent of the FMB.

If the complaint is about the member, then the FMB deal with that under their own complaints scheme

Sponsored Links
Friends and family recommendations will be far better than any register.

This is by far the best advice to follow.

Couldn't agree more, if your good at what you do a happy customer is far better the any organisation to promote you further.
When I looked into joining the FMB years ago from what i can remember all they wanted from me was 3 recommendations from previous customers and a joining fee!! I thought at the time it would be a good move to have there logo on the van to look professional, 18 years on and I've never even had the van sign written, never needed to advertise, just been word of mouth, the best way to choose a builder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back