Replacing Linels Cost - Resonable? - Finally got quotes...

Sponsored Links
We are on the same wavelength.... that is what I was planning :sneaky:

Company 1 gets my vote :)

The fact they dont manufacture is irrelevant. What profile are they offering?

The slow quote response may indicate poor administration, or a well established company that gets loads of work and isnt sales driven.

Id prefer that to a company that uses salesmen on comm ringing you up all the time.

If you cant decide, ask to see a current near job and visit, chat to the customer.

What about the option to instal rebar into the pointing beds plus resin.

I am going to be doing it next year on a property i rent out. Pretty easy really.

This is a utube link to a video.

Here is a pic of a lintel i did last year on another house. Never done it before and it was much harder than i imagined. Lintel cost £80-90 i think. Took 3 days, but i am slow and not doing it all the time.

I think a 2 man team would do it all in 1 long day, maybe 2. Bit of sand and cement and the lintel. So labour at £300 per day for 2 men and materials. Could be as low as £400. Not including a new window, just the lintel.

Attachments

• IMG_1760.jpg
    IMG_1760.jpg
    297.4 KB · Views: 229
The helical bars are designed for lateral restraint, and would do little in this scenario. You are effectively just gluing the soldier bricks to the course above it, and the weight would then pull that one down.

Now if you'd set the strongboys a few feet apart, you'd have managed to save about 6 course from coming lose, and a third one would have let you get away with just taking about 3 courses out. But a very credible job; it can be a bit daunting doing your first one.

Sponsored Links
Yes, very nervous when first taking all the bricks out.

I also made the mistake of not using any small scaffolding which i later borrowed off my neighbour to do other stuff on this house. So i was working from a step ladder and having to go up and down getting a bit of mortar on my trowel. Really slowed me down and i had to get it finished on this friday in the summer and i was still going at 9pm. Luckily the street lights were really good.

I am doing my own extension at the moment and have bought my own small scaffold tower. Not making that mistake again.

Well company two replied to say the slot in bolt on lintels are a bespoke solution approved by FENSA. Interesting.

They also said to do it all with proper lintels would cost just over £2k

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back