Is FMB worth it.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What value is behind a builder who is FMB registered. I recently experience a bunch of cowboys who left me with a £60K bill to complete a loft and side extension conversion. The builder, walked out of the job after stealing 141K telling me that he couldn't continue the job because there was no profit in it.

Bear in mind here that I had no roof; no heating; just an empty two storey shell attached to my existing 1930's property. The value of the piece of work was estimated as £80K. I spoke to the solictor to seek compensation - his advice was to forget it as one would just be pouring good money after bad. "The builder would wind up the company and you wouldn't get a penny other than the satisfaction of knowing that you forced him to close his business. He would start up the next day as another company of self trader."

I rang the FMB and they said that the could act as arbitrator but it would cost both parties £250 each. And even then there would be no gaurantee that ******* will be struck off.

All seems a bit self serving as far as the building industry is concerned. People have said that I should have taken out a warrenty (more cost) and should not have parted with any part payments unless the schedule has been strictly adhered to. Easier said then done when you are trying to work in harmony with you "friendly" builder.

So much for trust!

Sponsored Links
anyone can be fmb reg it don't mean anything of the quality of your work.
another money making scheme.

We went FMB, load of rubbish. :evil:

Trustmark is pretty good, we have had two random inspections so far and we had a proper site inspection. they wanted to see all our insurance details, certificates, waste licences etc.

Bit expensive though :confused:

Sponsored Links
my2p worth.

someone i know joined the FMB, thing is he wasnt a builder, don't get me wrong, he never said he was, he just wanted the sticker on his trade van "to look good"

he said he sent them a cheque and that was it

so ever since then, many many years ago, i have never thought much of the FMB

This the second time in a week I've seen a post like this in which a punter goes onto a public forum to rubbish someone who has done work for them because they have fallen out over something or other, usually cash.

Last one was on Gumtree Glasgow and was pure venom aimed at the builder.The punter named him where he lived and his phone number,don't know if it was pulled by Gumtree but regardless of what went on it was a pretty offensive post/thread.

Have to say it though who in their right mind pays out that sort of money for the work described above?

I mean did you not seek advice re payment from someone more experienced ,your architect for example?

It's not just the FMB. All, any trade association paid for and run for its members has its own and its members interests above any third party.

If you engaged a FMB member, then I assumed you looked into the benefits of engaging him, and knowing the procedure and possibilities of any dispute? If not, they you have your self to blame.

There are always two sides to a story, and I've seen enough cowboy customers to think that the building industry only has angels working in it.

The FMB are not to blame. Customers should do their homework.

If you can't work on trust, then have a contract, have a clear dispute resolution clause in it, and have an independent arbitrator agreed beforehand. Pay in stages etc etc . Have an insurance backed warranty which will cover non-performance of the builder. Its all basic stuff.

Any trade organization where the trade pay for membership is not worth pants. If all you trades men on here want to pay me £500.00 per year Ill tell people you are acredited and checked out . as thats what most of it boils down to .Had a guy trying to get me to join federation of master craftsmen.when I asked him his qualifications in my trade to audit me he had none he had just left the army and it was his first civvy street job!

Sponsored Links
Back