Do I need insulation above my ceilings?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I have purchased a new build house am struggling with keeping it warm in the winter. It's a 3 storey house with roof voids over parts of all floors (same as the one shown below)

1385999799_500.jpg

While working in our bathroom ceiling (which is on the middle floor under the void) I noticed that there was no fibre insulation on top of the plasterboard, whereas the ceiling on the top floor has a good layer of insulation over it. I have gone around the house testing the ceilings in the void areas and believe that the house builder has not put insulation in the voids shown below with the red rings.

Missing Insulation.jpg

The big question is:

Do these roof voids required fibre insulation by Building Regs? We were sold the house as having a grade B (81) energy efficiency, but can't believe that we're achieving this with the missing insulation.

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
Any roof void above a room should be insulated. Normally this will be above the ceiling, but potentially (albeit incorrect) it could be insulated at the rafter level above the void.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back