Cowell has blown off (not Simon)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In last nights wind the cowell on top of my flue has decided to come off

i have homecare 200 cover with my best friends at BG and its covered

As i have posted b4 i was close to having my boiler capped off due to poor ventilation(now resolved i had an air brick fitted) im wary of having these pedants back :mad:

They left an at risk notice\not current standards(cant remember what one as i binned it) for no annular seal in the chimney and as i have not had this work done so im worried they may cap me off.

The flue itself is intact its just the cowell thats come off and i also have a carbon monoxide(the corgi recommended one) detector so if summat did fall down the pipe i ain't going to die from fumes :)

Is it wise to get these pedants back or am i better off get a normal plumber to look at it ?

what are the dangers if left with no cowell in place ?

Im tempted to wait till spring and let the pedants come back and do it for free and risk em being pedants when its a tad warmer :)

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
victor meldrew wrote:

Its not. :oops:

Just wondering why you might have a BG contract when you obviously think they are a bunch of tosspotts.

The flue itself is intact its just the cowell thats come off and i also have a carbon monoxide(the corgi recommended one) detector so if summat did fall down the pipe i ain't going to die from fumes

Incomplete flue= At Risk

Im tempted to wait till spring and let the pedants come back and do it for free and risk em being pedants when its a tad warmer

Its not free is it?????

scatmanjohn said:
victor meldrew wrote:

Its not. :oops:

Just wondering why you might have a BG contract when you obviously think they are a bunch of tosspotts.

The flue itself is intact its just the cowell thats come off and i also have a carbon monoxide(the corgi recommended one) detector so if summat did fall down the pipe i ain't going to die from fumes

Incomplete flue= At Risk

Im tempted to wait till spring and let the pedants come back and do it for free and risk em being pedants when its a tad warmer

Its not free is it?????

to anwser a few of your lame anwsers

1)i had a problem when it was cold and instead of paying a call out charge etc it was cheaper to pay 17 quid a month for a year and get problem sorted

2) i only discoverd there pedantic ways once they had come out

3)well obviously now the flue is incomplete as the cowell came off yesterday :rolleyes: this is after they came round and said there was no annular seal.

If u are in colombia i suggest you lay off the dust :)

Can I have a guess at you favourite word of the day vic? ;) , can I just ask why you have someone in to check your gas appliance safety and then slate them when they point out the faults. These regulations apply to the whole gas industry not just british gas, I'm sure you may find someone who will ignore safety problems, but that's not really in your best interest is it?

Perhaps this may be of relevance
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/england/2131861.stm

Sponsored Links
victor meldrew

1, chill out son..i was only asking

2, fair point

3, i was only pointing out that the flue is at risk now that the terminal has blown off.

ollski..spot on fella

Incorrectly sealed debris plate is n.t.c.s. until CORGI & not bg deem otherwise.Incomplete flue is at risk (what if a bird decides to make a nest inside) & by the way replacing a secondary flue terminal is not covered under any b.g. agrrment

weareleeds wrote:

Incorrectly sealed debris plate is n.t.c.s. until CORGI & not bg deem otherwise

Not if the pipework within the builders opening is not correctly sealed as it passes through the wall. Its AR

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back