CPC's into back box?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Kust been looking at some of the sockets in my living room and have noticed that the CPC's from the ring go to the back box and then a fly lead comes from the back box to the socket. Is this acceptable? I thought it should be the other way round??

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It used to be done like that maybe 15 years ago, but it should be the other way round now.

It's not really unsafe, but not an ideal situation

Afaict if there is a flylead either way arround is fine though going to the accessory first is considered preferable.

Provided the box has at least one fixed lug and the accessory has an earthed mounting hole in that position then (at least under 16th ed, not sure about 17th) you can take the earths just to the accessory and let the box be earthed though the fixing screws.

Sponsored Links
I recon theres more 'best practices' than regs when it comes to electrical work!

Another good way is to leave the CPC a bit longer than the other wires and loop it via the earth terminal in the backbox so that the wire remains unbroken. Thats the way I like to do it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back