extending a lighting circuit but no CPC?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'd like to add a new 2-way ceiling light underneath where a RSJ is installed and double plasterboarded.
i need to form a new junction box from a cable connecting to a 2 way switch because of concrete ceiling. Current lighring circuit has no CPC, how should I go about it with with new cable? remove CPC from new cable? or connects CPC to another CPC in nearest socket?

IMG_6342.JPG

Sponsored Links
No CPC = cannot be extended.

How old is the existing circuit, and are you 100% sure it has no CPC? What type of wiring is it?

No CPC = cannot be extended.

How old is the existing circuit, and are you 100% sure it has no CPC? What type of wiring is it?

Oh bummer! really!? :(
It really has no CPC. It was done in the 1966 when the building was built, and the wiring was red (live) and white (presumably neutral) for the lighting circuit.

Look like I'm gonna have to spur off from a socket. Is that the same as fused spur forming a new socket?

On second thought, Can I run a new cable to CU? I had an EICR done and the existing cables are all fine. I'm having a new CU in few month time, if that's ok then I can just lay the cable first.

Sponsored Links
With respect it's abundantly clear that you don't know what you are doing, so the only correct course of action is to employ an Electrician.

With respect it's abundantly clear that you don't know what you are doing, so the only correct course of action is to employ an Electrician.
Thanks for the important reminder. I"d like to think I know the basics as I've done some notifiable work with an electrician on commercial site when I was studying EEE degree 20 years ago. I know my knowledge was very outdated and I have no idea about the latest compliance. I will have a spark to have it all checked out and replace the CU. Thank you. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back