no cpc on lighting except for on extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi currently renovating house the lighting circuit has no cpc except in the extension would it be ok for me too connect the cpc's from the extension to all lights and switches in the rest of the house as i really dont want 2 go the rewire route it would cause a lot of disruption at this stage, also if this exceptable what size cable should i use?

thanks for your help in advance
Nick

Sponsored Links
Hi Nick

Have you got any test equipment? Just because there is an earth wire in the extension doesn't mean it is connected to earth - you'd need to test this. Also not really good practice to share one earth between several lighting circuits.

If you're renovating, now is the time to sort it out properly.

SB

i will test out the earth but as you say not good practice to share earths so will prob not opt too do that, will have 2 bite the bullet and re-wire or just fit class 2 fittings everywhere.

thanks for your help

right decided too re-wire, is it frowned upon not too pull the old cables out i was thinking of just cutting them bk and picking my own routes 4 the new cables?

Sponsored Links
Most of them will pull out with ease, if not, pull as much as you can and cut back as much as you can (hope tham makes sense)

this is what i plan 2 do but some cables run into floor boards i cant get too i.e under bathroom floor which has already been tiled so i plan 2 cut back and leave these cables in the wall and run in new cables different way

thanks

Sounds sensible. Just cut back the old cables as far as you can.

I'm sure it goes without saying to make sure you have identified the correct cables before you cut them! Working with all circuits de-energised via the main switch would also be highly advisable.

yes going to pull the fuses for lighting circuit and make sure every light and switch is dead then disconnect tails for lighting circuit at the cu and go from there.

thanks 4 ur help

Nick

I'd still advise isolating the whole house.

What happens if you cut into/through a cable you haven't identified correctly! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back