Crack along wall next to door frame

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an issue with the plaster next to my door frame, over time it has developed a crack from the floor up due to the door shutting. At the floor a section of the plaster has broken and created a crack that bevels out.

What are my best options to rectify this issue, I know if I plaster straight over the crack it is likely to weaken over time and re-appear. the plaster board around the area of the damage near the floor appears to be loose against the wall too.

I have attached some images and appreciate any advice.

Attachments

• Wall.JPG
    Wall.JPG
    118.3 KB · Views: 118
  • Wall (1).JPG
    Wall (1).JPG
    117 KB · Views: 111
  • Wall (2).JPG
    Wall (2).JPG
    131.3 KB · Views: 116
Sponsored Links
Looks like a classic case of the door lining/frame not secured enough into the brick work. Got a 1900's terrace myself and the door linings were fixed by a big wooden block instead of a brick. Or in some houses later on a wood wedge was used instead of mortar bed and the frame nailed to that. Over time with banging shut the mortar has crumbled loosing the frame. Take the plaster off close to the door frame up the wall and have a look how it fixed in place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back