Crack in brickwork / Mortar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help.I know this may be difficult to answer but there is a house with bay windows its 1940s built and has double glazing UPVC.
The brickwork between the upstairs and downstairs window has a crack from left to right going down from under the window sill.The crack line follows the mortar .I thnik this may have happened when the windows were put in.I cant see if there is a crack on the inside as someone lives there and the room is decorated.I dont think its a big problem but would welcome any opinions or thoughts

Thanks

Russ

Sponsored Links
What - are you buying it or thinking of buying it? What makes you think it happened when windows were installed?

It's quite common to get cracking when a timber bay window is replaced with plastic.

Thinking of buying , it can wait till the builder i use gets back off hols , Just going to have a chat with the vendor on Monday

Sponsored Links
Had a friend with similar. New PVC windows had no steel supporting inserts and bowed so brickwork above was not supported.... I think thats what he said.... cost him a packet. Get it surveyed.

Stuart. One of the best descriptive articles I have read for a now common problem.
oldun. ;)

It is a good read oldun. I was going to type it out and make out it was my knowledge, but it would have taken me all day and you probably would have guessed it wasn't coming from my grey matter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back