crack in ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I was moving a wardrobe from one room to another today in preperation for my new baby and i noticed these dents/cracks in the ceiling. I think the ceiling is plasterboard.

It couldve gradually appeared or when putting a few storage boxes up there it could be a stray foot while entering the loft!! there is nothing stored on the spot above the dent.

it was then i noticed the further worrying lines in the ceiling of the same room. They might be the lines from the beams in the loft.

I'm just a fitter by trade so DIY not my strong point hence joining this place. I'd appreciate any advice in next course of action. I've read that if its the plasterboards that are unstable screwing them to the beams to stabalise then re plaster. Can I localise it or is the big line further down in the same room a bigger issue?

Having a baby in 6 weeks so couldnt have happened at a worse time!

what do you guys suggest?

If theres anything you need me to answer or take picture of let me know.

I've just uploaded some pics but im sure if they'll just be in my profile and not on the thread.

Maca[/img]

Sponsored Links
Had a look at your profile pictures.
Not to easy to tell, but they don't look like they follow the standard cracks that appear along joist on plasterboaded ceilings.
Could well be if loft has been used for storage and you don't have floor panels that, a stray foot or heavy item could have caused this.
But also an age factor of the ceiling and the actual material that it is made of could also be the culprit.
I would suggest a little more investigation from the loft, take pictures and post, so we can decide what the best actions would be to take.
Also how big an area is this ceiling and any signs of these cracks elsewhere?

Had a look at your profile pictures.
Not to easy to tell, but they don't look like they follow the standard cracks that appear along joist on plasterboaded ceilings.
Could well be if loft has been used for storage and you don't have floor panels that, a stray foot or heavy item could have caused this.
But also an age factor of the ceiling and the actual material that it is made of could also be the culprit.
I would suggest a little more investigation from the loft, take pictures and post, so we can decide what the best actions would be to take.
Also how big an area is this ceiling and any signs of these cracks elsewhere?
its got a few loose wood panels which some boxes are on top nothing heavier than say 10kg's. some of the storage boxes we put up there a month ago weigh about the same but are sat on the beams. Up until then i had never been up there and it just consists of the beams and the thick yellow insulation stuff in between them. I'll take some more pics in the morning and post them.

the area of that room in question is about 16ft by 8ft (it had been an old box room knocked through to make a big bedroom years ago)

on furthur inspection just now theres a few of the full length lines in the ceiling in the second bedroom(theres nothing being stored in that area) and one in the hall outside the door near the dent.

Sponsored Links
From your original photos it is difficult to tell, whether you have plasterboard ceilings or whether they are the old lathe and plaster.
This would be useful to know, have you any idea of the age of the property?

Normally plasterboard will crack along the butted joints of the board, generally along the joists as this is where the most movement can occur from above (ie foot traffic and storage)

If the ceiling is lathe and plastered, this can crack in a number of directions, the causes could well be from movement or damage from stored items or stray feet.
But can also be starting to fail.
The remedial work required would depend on the ceiling material and the extent of the problem.
In some cases it's a simple, screw board up tight and fill cracks will a filler or sealant that allows for expansion.
Other case will require screwing up board and racking out the crack and repair tapes being applied and filling out.
In some cases, especially lathe and plaster, it worth considering a total rip down.
But more information would help, even with lathe and plaster small repair can be made.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back