Crack in exterior brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am currently in the process of buying this property https://www.goodchilds-uk.com/properties/12821725/sales and I've noticed a vertical crack in the exterior brickwork (pics below). I intend to get a structural survey when I can but would appreciate opinions in the meantime.

The crack is in the middle of the wall of the rear 2 storey extension and runs from below the upstairs window down to above the large window and patio doors downstairs. (Interior photo of this area in the estate agent's images, apologies for no full exterior image). There is a large, old, sun awning running the full width of the property. I didn't notice any evidence of cracking above the upstairs window or at the base of the wall and don't recall any matching interior defect.

vjinkw0.jpg
neW0spK.jpg

Sponsored Links
Apologies in advance for the length of post, I've added a number of new pics.

Thanks for the response from Woody. As lockdown has now eased I have, in the first instance, got a level 3 RICS survey and gone back to look at the exterior again. Appointment Monday to look at the interior again.

So, the survey suggested that the main house was sound but did note additional cracking which we hadn't seen at viewing. Again to do with the extension. We have no idea when the extension was added, there's no planning docs, no building regs docs and the property was part exchanged so we can't ask the previous occupier anything. The copy of the title we have seems to show prev occupier from 1999, planning docs on council portal from their work but can't find anything pre- 2007 or so for this property. The surveyor didn't fill in section C giving an overall opinion of the property so I'm going to try and get hold of him by phone to ask further questions. All aspects of the property examined were put in the level 2 category and all described as "satisfactory".

Here is an image of the extension wall from the rear, the original crack runs down the centre.
ns1qwwslu3rj.png

There is the stepped crack to the left of the window:
m28q45x88ucd.png

and a crack below that window:
k4zllz7exm5i.png

There's a more minor crack/stepped crack above the right hand side of the patio doors:
y32zv33lthy1.jpg

The surveyor didn't comment on it but we also noted some cracking where the extension joins the main house:
0ikeubw6mxus.jpg

The bricks do seem prone to cracking, there are a number with fine cracks that don't extend to the mortar joints and quite a few spalled bricks particularly on the left side elevation of the extension. It's unclear whether the obviously different breaks have already been replaced due to spalling, certainly the mortar joints don't appear different to the surrounding joints.

gswtrthvkpqn.png

The survey said little else regarding the cracks, section F3 on the interior said: "There is evidence of movement to some of the internal wall joints / abutments to the rear bedroom over the rear extension. The cause(s) of the cracking may be historic but this is not certain. You are advised to monitor the cracks for a period of nine to twelve moths, and to fill and decorate if they do not
deteriorate."
But section section J2 said: "We saw no evidence of movement in this property."

I appreciate that further investigation may still be warranted but opinions would be greatly welcomed. Not least because it might help me to work out what questions to ask the surveyor.

Stepped crack to LH of lintel, again seems like related to thermal movement of the bricks and the close proximity of the bearing to the corner.

Crack below frame, again a typical place for cracking from thermal movement of the wall.

Crack to pier - the wall is not bonded in.

Blown bricks - frost attack to bricks and staining look like they relate to localized saturation of the wall - drips from the roof or a cavity tray or blocked cavity.

Generally, internal cracking is common with age and not a big issue. It's only if you have cracks in the same place on the inner and external wall, and they are of the type that indicate foundation movement, but those do not.

The surveyor should have commented on the external cracks, so you may want him to clarify those, and then you should be able to rely on the report.

But as a sale report, you could be asking for a reduction in the price to cover the making good if you wanted to get into some negotiation.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Woody, lots of that is generally what I've been hoping. I've already e-mailed the surveyor to try and arrange a chat. I'm keen to proceed with the purchase if it's all relatively minor to remedy/mostly making good as it's in a lovely location and I like the internal proportions. Looks like I'm going to need a builder to have a look, but any idea what kinds of costs I'd be looking at to sort it out?

Last edited:
Its two man-days work plus materials, and maybe a tower hire. £500-£700?
You'll probably want to fit helical crack reinforcement bars in the main crack above and below the frame. But the person needs to be able to do a neat job and blend it it.

For that pier, you may just want to just point that up.

Having spoken to the surveying company I'm now more confused than ever. I couldn't contact the actual surveyor but raised some concerns I had with the survey with the company owner (also a surveyor). After looking at the photos he has now stated that the property is subject to movement (moderate to severe) with a recommendation to get monitoring by a structural engineer in the medium to long term, a drain survey, remove any bushes and install retaining walls to prevent heave. I know from reading around that this is fairly generic advice so entirely unhelpful (I wouldn't have minded the same conclusion delivered with confidence from the actual surveyor and appreciate they are not structural engineers, but they've been a nightmare).

We did manage to examine the interior prior to the conversation with the surveyor and have an image of what I think is a more worrying crack that seems to affect both the interior and exterior walls:
upload_2020-6-18_19-2-43.png

I think this is probably the point where I bow out from this purchase but would nevertheless be interested in opinion on the crack.

I think Woody has gone above and beyond. Not sure what else you would need? You could always take a builder round to assess prior to pulling out

Woody has indeed been great and I don't need anything. As I said, I'm just interested in peoples' opinions of the cracks should they choose to comment. Like reading other peoples' threads, it has been a learning experience.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back