Crack in kitchen sink waste near external wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Noticed a large crack in the kitchen sink waste this week after recently moving in. See attached pics.

Normally would replace the section of pipe in the wall, but it's inaccessible without removing lots of kitchen cupboards. So not sure I can replace the section in the wall just yet

A new kitchen is on the cards on the next year or so. What can I do in the interim? Solvent weld the crack? Some kind of wrap?

IMG_20210929_152552.jpg IMG_20210929_152610.jpg IMG_20210929_152600.jpg

Sponsored Links
Disconnect the waste on the outside and the inside after removing any unit shelves or backing and then use a hammer and a wood block to tap it out from the inside. Or cut the waste frominside and then split it and plier it out. dont mess with codges or it might end up leaking inside the kitchen or the wall.Remove it.

I didn't think that compression joints were UV "safe" for outdoor use- that said I am not a plumber.

I didn't think that compression joints were UV "safe" for outdoor use- that said I am not a plumber.

they're not supposed to be suitable for outdoors your correct, but plenty of people do so, i thnk a lot of people see solvent weld as a dark art for some reason.

Sponsored Links
Chances are it is PP plastic push fit pipe that was used too. It has UV perished and gone brittle over the years as it wasn't painted. It really can't be bodged with any kind of certainty, if it's at that point. Only thing to do is replace it with solvent weld. Hopefully that pipe isn't solid mortared into the wall and then it would just be a case of using a length of new ABS pipe, piece of wood over the end and use it to tap that piece out from within the cabinet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back