1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Replace cracked solvent weld bend without replacing connecting pipe?

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by BathDIY, 16 Jun 2021.

1. BathDIY

BathDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A 40mm plastic waste pipe coming out of my kitchen wall is solvent welded in. The bend is cracked just by the wall so it needs replacing as does the pipe running into the new waste.

Is it possible to mechanically remove the bend if I am careful leaving the pipe intact? Or is this going to leave the pipe worthless (unable to chemically weld or add push-fit replacement bend)?

Alternatively, perhaps there is an alternative glue to fit the new bend to the old pipe?

2. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It can be done with great care and a heat gun but the easiest way is to cut the pipe inside, use a straight connector and replace it all from there to your "new waste" whatever that is.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. BathDIY

BathDIY

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks just pumps, what the best way (cheap tool to use) to cut pipe to get a decent connection, space is very limited?

Also just checking is there any reason why I couldn't use a compression fitting rather than weld?

5. just pumps

just pumps

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A simple hacksaw in the right hands will give a straight cut and as long as the waste water isnt pressurised (pumped) then compression fittings can be used if need be.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Sponsored Links