Crack in plaster after only 2 weeks....is this normal ???

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I have had some plastering done 2+ weeks ago.....

some boarding and skim
some straight overskim
some slightly deeper onto the block work and then skim

The room has been aired frequently.....no heaters or anything.....all totally natural and the plaster is nice and pink

But, i have noticed a crack in the shape of an upside down T shape
The length of the lines are 3" and 5" and its on the plaster where the slightly deeper work was done

Is this to be expected ?
Is something wrong that needs looking at ?
Am i going to be told "...oh that happens all the time !" to just get away with it.

My builder wants to begin decorating soon but obviously i am reluctant till this is sorted.

Thanks in advance to anyone being able to offer some insight and help.

Sean

Sponsored Links
Not quiet sure why you have started a new thread on this one other than it’s now in Plastering. To repeat my previous advice, no it’s not normal & from info youve given on your other thread, the cause is most likely differential movement between the original wall & new plasterboard if he’s just butted the two together.

If the cracks are over original plaster, it may be where the plaster base or even the brickwork was cracked & not suitably reinforced before plastering; you won't stop it reappearing in this case either.

If the plaster base was laid on too thick too quicky & not alowed to set sufficiently before skimming, it may be that that's cracked & is now showing through the skim; filling may work here.

See what the other spreads say; for guidance see here;
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=287266&highlight=

sorry about that Richard.....the wife took it upon herself as she is concerned also.

Thanks again for your input.........it is appreciated :)

I'd go along with what Rich'd said,, movement between the new and old. A picture would be helpful if poss. Don't let the builder push you, until you've sorted out the problem. Get the plasterer back to have a look as well.

Sponsored Links
cheers Roughcaster.....i'll keep you posted

thanks again

Sounds like a crack in the drying plaster to me. Give us a piccie. Nothing to panic about.

Here you go Joe !
before you posted this pic i would have said rich was right, but looking at the pic it dosent resemble a joint crack between two surfaces it looks to me like the plaster has cracked through lack of prep and i bet if you run a scraper between the cracks you could just scrape it off with no hassle

That’s not what I expected either & agree with Steve, that’s got to be down to prep or plaster too thick in one hit. It looks like the plaster is heaving away from the wall, is it just the skim or does it affect the base as well?

Does it sound hollow when you tap it? What’s all that roughness/bubbling about? I assume it still hasn’t been painted but that looks more like Artex than plaster!

guys - many thanks !

you have confirmed my thoughts that the undercoat was put on and not allowed to settle and dry before the skim

to the touch it is smooth and does have a slightly hollow sound to it when tapped
i will get the wife to pop a spirit level over it too

thanks to all the advice on here, i have knocked the decorators back until we have this sorted good and proper.

thanks again all - appreciated !

you have confirmed my thoughts that the undercoat was put on and not allowed to settle and dry before the skim
ideally the undercoat should not dry out b4 skimming, it should still be damp when skimmed or if it did dry out it should have been damped down again or primed with pva, to treat this problem i would start at the crack with a scraper and take as much off as i can that i feel has blown or has not taken and then repair, you may end up taking all the wall off or it may just be localised "If YOUR LUCKY"

It's a 5 minute patch up job. Panic over folks. It's nothing to get excited over.

If it wasn't there's be cracks elsewhere.

ideally the undercoat should not dry out b4 skimming, it should still be damp when skimmed or if it did dry out it should have been damped down again or primed with pva, to treat this problem i would start at the crack with a scraper and take as much off as i can that i feel has blown or has not taken and then repair, you may end up taking all the wall off or it may just be localised "If YOUR LUCKY"

Why would you pva a fresh floatcoat..?

It looks like the flat coat wasn't applied to a correctly prept background. Clean off dust and debris, wet down, scratch coat then float. Looks like the float coat has lifted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back