Crack in render at expansion joint

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My wife & i bought a semi-detached house in 2009 which is 10 years old it had an extension added to it in 2008, when we checked the home report it stated that there was a crack in the rendering that would need attention, When i spoke to the home owner he said that the builder had left a gap in the brickwork to add an expansion joint but that it had been rendered over before the joint could be fitted & it would be a matter of cutting a strip out of the rendering & adding a plastic expansion joint to this,I dont think the crack has got any worse over the last 2 years but In the last few weeks my wife has started asking if im going to do this job ( Last one the house needs this year ) seeing as we are having our 2 weeks of scottish summer about now, Im not really sure i want to do this unless it really needs it & i want to make sure i can retrofit a expansion joint into the wall before i start cutting away at the rendering.

Any help and advice would be gratefully accepted.

I have added a pic of the crack & as you can see there is a gap in the brickwork at the bottom for a expansion joint but above has been rendered over, The crack goes all the way up the exterior wall & my wife is also concerned as there is a hairline crack along the plaster in the ceiling that runs away from the exterior wall right at the same area there is a crack on the outside wall,This has been the same width since we moved in, I have tried to calm her fears that the extention is not going to fall down but she will not take my word for it and wants some assurance from someone who knows what they are talking about so please someone put her & my mind at rest. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
An expansion joint should have been formed in the render.

It may be possible to just cut a line out and fill it with mastic, or it may require insertion of proper expansion joint metal beads to give a nice clean edge

Extensions will move and ceiling joints will crack. Its common and not a major concern unless it gets wider and wider

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back