Expansion joint in block wall to be used in a pond?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am currently in the process of building a forty foot pond in the shape of half a rectangle. The re-enforced concrete base is in, but my concern is whether to put an expansion joint in the concrete block work? As a brickie I know they should put in every 6metres and two of the longest sides are getting on for nearly ten metres. I don't want the blockwork cracking and cracking the render.
I am rendering the blockwork with sand cement and lime then sealing with G4 pond sealer.
[/b]

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued as to what constitutes half a rectangle? is it not still a rectangle?

On a more useful note its a hard one to answer. By using render and g4 you are relying on the condition of the render to form your waterproofing and if it cracks you will get leaks.

If its all on a reinforced raft i'd be tempted to forget the expansion joints and hope for the best as i'm not sure how you would detail them.

Expanded metal over the joint would probably work at keeping the cracks away.

Fibre glassing would take away all your concerns but is very spendy.

In other news i recently did a small 3x1.5m pond and didn't render the blocks but used KA tanking slurry which was brush applied to bare blocks.

I honestly didn't really believe it would work but its not leaked at all in 6 months. and worked out much easier and than rendering and then g4 on top. probably a bit cheaper too.

Sponsored Links
I'm intrigued as to what constitutes half a rectangle? is it not still a rectangle?

On a more useful note its a hard one to answer. By using render and g4 you are relying on the condition of the render to form your waterproofing and if it cracks you will get leaks.

In other news i recently did a small 3x1.5m pond and didn't render the blocks but used KA tanking slurry which was brush applied to bare blocks.

I honestly didn't really believe it would work but its not leaked at all in 6 months. and worked out much easier and than rendering and then g4 on top. probably a bit cheaper too.

It's like the shape of a capital E but without the middle bit.
That's why I was going to use lime in the render to allow a bit of movement and hopefully avoid cracks.

What is KA tanking slurry? I've never heard of it

It's like the shape of a capital E but without the middle bit.
That's why I was going to use lime in the render to allow a bit of movement and hopefully avoid cracks.

What is KA tanking slurry? I've never heard of it

google it. there are various alternatives but as far as i can tell its essentially a chemical plaster that crystalizes the structure of the masonary and stops water movement. I'm not really sure how it works exactly but it did for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back