Crack in render below chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

After posting about (a relatively paultry) damp problem, I got loads of helpful comments!! So how about this one.....
We are preparing a chimney for use in a kitchen so we can put the cooker in the gap between the jambs. Steel lintels are in at the bottom and this week we got a scaffolder in to get up to the top, cap, replace pots and make good brick work. All fine and dandy 'til chainsaw Jimmy (the scaffolder) pointed out quite a lot of the render on the way up was blown and would need replacing.

Great - until we took off the offending render and found a crack which goes half way down the wall. (Crack is in 1st old coat of render)

CJ suggested gettting someone in to put stitches in but my husband is panicing and wants to take the chimney down and just have that side up to roof height saying we must apply for emergency planning monday morning!

Is this really necessary? Do stitch things work? No pictures at the moment as I am too scared to go up high enough - will get son to do that tomorrow.

We are under building regs as part of a bigger project so don't worry that we are doing things willy nilly - should we just ask building inspecter what to do? Mind you he always comes round in a pristeen suit so not sure he will go up scaffilding for a look!!

Any opinions welcome - Sara
(ps we still have damp although no rain for weeks - digging to find mains at the moment....)

Sponsored Links
Chainsaw Jimmy and a BI who won`t dirty his whistle :confused: You`re doomed . Maybe get Shady Sam the Structural Surveyor to look @ stitching the chimney ,and you ,up ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back