Crack in render between detached houses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, can someone help me please. We are looking to purchase a semi detached property, in the main bedroom there is a small damp patch on the corner of the wall (interior adjoining wall to next door) and both top and bottom front windows have broken down. Looking from outside right where you would expect the two properties to join there is a down pipe and behind the down pipe there is a crack in the render running from roof to floor which is a good 3mm wide, its in a perfect straight line, should be worried about this and would this be the cause of the damp. Also doesn't help all vents have been blocked up but the crack worries me more, any advice gratefully welcome don't want to buy a house and then find out it requires major work.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
Post a picture

You say semi-detached, but were both houses built at the same time?

It could be a construction joint or re-rendering at different times with stop beads back to back. So a picture will help a lot!

Thanks fir the advice.
Cant get a pic as dark and we want to make a offer tomorrow, the houses are both built at the same time?

Most semi's are built in pairs at the same time but an end of terrace semi could be an add on. I didn't want to assume in the absence of a photo.

Sponsored Links
Ah! I see, no they are not the end of the row and they were buit together, should i be concerned and do you think this could be the cause of the damp inside as the damp is right where the crack would be, if you see what i mean

Lets see a photo first. It may not be a crack but an open joint in the render as I indicated before. That could be a problem but easier to resolve than a crack.

That "crack" should not be a problem. Ideally it should be closed off with a mastic sealant. It is a deliberate break in the render between the two houses

The rainwater pipes look to be cast iron and you need to see if they are rotting at the back especially at the joints. Leaks from old rotting cast iron rainwater pipes are a common source of damp in a building. It is worth checking the guttering if that is also cast iron

Thank you so much for your help, we have made an offer on the house fingers crossed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back