Someone please help me with this crack. Is it Subsidence or render crack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying semi detached house. House is rendered and shows some cracks at the left rear and side wall. I am not expert so i could not say it is subsidence or not but one of the vertical cracks from side wall is both external and internal at the same places.
crack above window internal.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-3335-min.jpg
    IMG-3335-min.jpg
    808.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG-3330.jpg
    IMG-3330.jpg
    645.5 KB · Views: 86
Sponsored Links
I would say that is a thermal expansion / contraction crack

is it quite a long wall (side to side)?

is the wall solid or a cavity?

the attempt at matching the finish on the filled in doorway is interesting!

Something has been inexpertly bricked up. Was it a window?

An old house might have had a wooden lintel, or the wall above supported by a windowframe. When removed or rotted, the bricksork above may have settled a bit. Does the crack continue below the bricked up patch? Does it get wider? Is there any sign it has grown or moved in the last 20 years?

The crack is vertical and it is quite long. Crack at the same place both internal and external wall. It is rendered exterior and cavity wall. Crack from top to above window. Is it subsidence or expansion crack? Thank you so much for your feedback.

Sponsored Links
Something has been inexpertly bricked up. Was it a window?

An old house might have had a wooden lintel, or the wall above supported by a windowframe. When removed or rotted, the bricksork above may have settled a bit. Does the crack continue below the bricked up patch? Does it get wider? Is there any sign it has grown or moved in the last 20 years?
It used to be a window. I don’t know why they removed the window and bricked up. The owner passed away and their son is selling the house. They don’t know much about this house. The crack is both internal and external at the same place so i am a bit concerned. Would it be subsidence? The house is built on clay soil in Birmingham. Thank you so much for your advice.

I would say that is a thermal expansion / contraction crack

is it quite a long wall (side to side)?

is the wall solid or a cavity?

the attempt at matching the finish on the filled in doorway is interesting!
It is very long crack and it is side by side both internal and external. Thank you for giving me advice.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back