Crack in wall

22 Jan 2021
Reaction score
United Kingdom
Buying a house and a crack has been brought up in one of the bedrooms. The house has been extended and an RSJ put in, full building regs and planning has been followed by previous owners. Extension is 12 years old.

Crack runs vertically up one wall, along the line where the RSJ covering meets the ceiling then down the corner on the other side. Like a hairline crack so I don't feel like I should be concerned but can't find a structural engineer that can go out anytime soon as all booked up for weeks.

The current owner has been there 3 years and says its always been there and seems not fussed but that doesn't count for much.

I've thoroughly checked the external wall and there is no signs of any cracks or mortar repairs, the RSJ also runs through the bathroom and there are no cracks there. No cracks internally on ground floor under this area either, in fact I cannot find any other cracks in or near the extension. That bedroom door does stick slightly in top right corner but the door is two meters from the RSJ in the original house, all windows open and close seemlessly.


  • Crack.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 222
Sponsored Links
Just seems to be a normal plaster-shrinkage crack; nothing to loose sleep over.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. Now found out there is no building regs for the extension so bigger issues to consider now!
Sponsored Links
It would not be normal to have a crack around the entire perimeter of the extended room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local