Crack to exterior wall - window and door frame coming away

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

I'm new to this forum so didn't quite know where to put this question.

Am living in a flat that I bought a few years back (only just moved in), and noticed a draught coming from the windows and door frame (upvc).
On further examination there seems to be a crack on the outside wall and the whole frame (window and door on the balcony) moves when pushed gently.
There are gaps along the edges of the door frame, and also seems to be some sort of attempt to fill the cracks with brown rubbery stuff.

Is this something to be causing concern ?

Oh also have pictures to attach but not sure how to do it, so have put them in my album.

Sponsored Links

Without more information it would be hard to say.. can you give any more info on what type of building? ie purpose built concrete framed flats or victoria terrace etc?

Also do you know whats behind the render?

Without more information it would be hard to say.. can you give any more info on what type of building? ie purpose built concrete framed flats or victoria terrace etc?

Also do you know whats behind the render?

It used to be Naval flats back in the 70's and in 2004 they refurbished them.
How would I find out what was behind the render ?

Thank you for linking the pictures.

Sponsored Links
Well it doesnt look massively serious, at best guess it looks like the fixings to the window have come loose, potentially were drilled into the cladding behind the render (chances are its some lightweight blockwork).
Over time this caused some of the render to get pulled away due to a strong wind or two forming the crack, someone then repainted the exterior and stuck in a load of putty to fill the gap semi glueing the window frame back in.. but more wind and a little frost may have loosened it up again.

I would say that removing the window and frame, quick render repair to the blown section. Then re-fix the frame into something a little more solid.

The only way you will know for sure what the problem is will be after removing the window frame or some of the cladding.

ps. im assuming the 2004 wasnt done by some cowboys who broke off the render while trying to glue the window frame into place with as much putty as they could buy from B&Q.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back