Architrave coming away from wall at top

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I have architrave around the wall in which my 1st floor bedroom window sits - see photo (architrave and plastering done c.2018 and new window incl. frame & pane fitted last October).

Every night for a while now I've heard a little popping noise every hour or so so last night I stood up on a chair to have a look and can see that the architrave is coming away from the wall at the top and there are cracks around the top corners.

The window itself is fine and shows no signs of any cracking or coming away from the wall, nor do any of the fittings e.g., curtains poles, tiebacks nor the radiator or skirting board directly below the window. There's no cracks on the rest of that wall internally or externally either. There is a bay window directly beneath which did have cracking on both sides where the bay structure meets the main exterior wall but this was deemed non progressive and not serious by a surveyor and has not gotten any worse in the year that I've lived here.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing it? I've attached photos of ...

- The whole window
- The cracking & gap - both away and close up
- The frame and sills - no cracking

Attachments

• 20230621_072215.jpg
    20230621_072215.jpg
    478.5 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230621_072243.jpg
    20230621_072243.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 58
  • 20230621_002109.jpg
    20230621_002109.jpg
    397.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20230621_002010.jpg
    20230621_002010.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230621_002117.jpg
    20230621_002117.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230621_072225.jpg
    20230621_072225.jpg
    308.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20230621_072229.jpg
    20230621_072229.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20230621_072243.jpg
    20230621_072243.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 51
Sponsored Links
The architrave is attached (probably nailed) to the window casing, which expands and contracts at a different rate to the surrounding masonry. I don't think it has come away as much as you think. Looking at the top of the architrave - the bit that hasn't been filled with sealant - the gap looks alarming but, when compared to the tiny gap of the sealant, that gap has always been like that and it is just the sealant that has de-bonded. Looking at the sealant, the surface contact looks minimal, so it won't take much for it to come away. So; thermal movement.

The architrave is attached (probably nailed) to the window casing, which expands and contracts at a different rate to the surrounding masonry. I don't think it has come away as much as you think. Looking at the top of the architrave - the bit that hasn't been filled with sealant - the gap looks alarming but, when compared to the tiny gap of the sealant, that gap has always been like that and it is just the sealant that has de-bonded. Looking at the sealant, the surface contact looks minimal, so it won't take much for it to come away. So; thermal movement.
Okay, phew! Thank you so much. Do you think anything needs to be done to it I.e., filling the gap?

As a decorator...

I would use a sharp chisel to break the plaster seal in image number 2.

If the gap between the architrave and plaster is more than a couple of MM, and it bounces slightly when pushed, I would use a polyurethane glue or foam to lock the architrave to the wall. 2mm, I would brush in PU glue, 2+mm, I would go for PU expanding foam (in either case, spraying the gap with a light mist of water first).

The PU product will "lock" architrave in place. After cutting away the excess foam, you can use 2 pack filler to fill between the timber, back to the plaster. Once that has been sanded back, you can use a powder based filler to fill the missing plaster.

A quick and dirty fix would be to lightly sand the crack, and run caulk over it.

That said, I agree with @jeds that there is no reason for concern.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
As a decorator...

I would use a sharp chisel to break the plaster seal in image number 2.

If the gap between the architrave and plaster is more than a couple of MM, and it bounces slightly when pushed, I would use a polyurethane glue or foam to lock the architrave to the wall. 2mm, I would brush in PU glue, 2+mm, I would go for PU expanding foam (in either case, spraying the gap with a light mist of water first).

The PU product will "lock" architrave in place. After cutting away the excess foam, you can use 2 pack filler to fill between the timber, back to the plaster. Once that has been sanded back, you can use a powder based filler to fill the missing plaster.

A quick and dirty fix would be to lightly sand the crack, and run caulk over it.
Thank you so much! You're a super star.

You don't have to do anything.

My filling recommendations are aesthetic. Nothing is going to fall down in the meantime.
Thank you, you've given a very anxious solo first time buyer so much peace of mind. Hope you have a brilliant day!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back