Crack under window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all,

Just got home from a weekend away and found this at the corner of the front bedroom window. It's probably about 1/3 mm across. I can't see anything wrong on the outer wall and the window itself doesn't seem to be stiff or out of joint, BUT it looks like this has been painted over previously (we've been here about 18 months). Should I be worried??

For context, it's a Victorian mid terrace with that's been underpinned at the rear of the house about 20 years ago because the kitchen addition had insufficient foundations.

IMG20220227165849.jpgIMG20220227165838.jpg

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't worry too much at the moment. We've had some really foul weather recently and it could simply be the building settling down from all those strong winds and fluctuating temperatures. Is there any cracking outside following the same sort of pattern/size?
Take accurate measurements at a few different points and then in a couple of weeks measure those same points again and see if there is any difference. Obviously if the crack opens substantially over a short period then there may well be reasons for concern but in the meantime just keep a watchful eye on it.

Is there any cracking outside following the same sort of pattern/size?

Not that I can see. I've put masking tape over at a few points and just traced the line with a biro (the crack is consistently no thicker than that at any point) so if it does get bigger I'll know.

Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back